Coopers Community

What is Your Go-To Beer to Brew

Beer Baron

I was just interested to see if there a certain beer you all brew and have on tap. 

I’m overdue to brew it but mine is an IPA

80% Pale

15% Munich 

5% Caramunich 

I use amarillo, centennial and cascade hops and it comes out at about 6.3% 

Beer Baron

• Like 2

I have a few I brew very regularly 

1. Pilsener - 97.5% pilsener malt. 2.5% Melanoiden. Saaz all the way and brewed with 3L starter of Budvar Yeast at 10c. 

2. Saison - 86% Pilsener. 11% wheat. 3% light crystal. Use a few different hops depending on what i have as its predominantly yeast driven anyway. Have used Belle, 3724, BE134, 3726, a combo of BE134/3724/Belle and a combo of Belle/3724. The last one is my favourite. Pitched at 18c and a free rise from there.

3. Asian Lager - 75% pilsener 25% Rice. Using saaz or hallertau. Budvar yeast at 10c.

4. Aussie pale ale - Partial mash. Double batch. 4kg pale malt. Split into 2 and add can coopers pale ale. CCA yeast at 18c. Keg hopped with a C hop or galaxy.

• Like 3

My crowd pleaser is Ben10s recipe for a stone & wood pacific ale. 60% pale malt, 40% wheat malt. 25g whirlpool hop, 25g cube hop, 50g dry hop. No boiled hops.

i keep saying I will brew this again, but I get distracted and brew something new instead! I will definitely brew this for a friend’s wife’s 40th. Double batch into a 50L keg (he has a kegerator that connects to the big keg)

• Like 2

Mines basically all pales, I always have something darker on tap for the wife but basically all pales. 

I cant say I have a go too yet, I pretty much try to nail a recipe by brewing it over and over till it’s good. 

Mainly each of my pales changes recipe depending on the hop or what I’m trying to achieve but:

For single hop beers usually about 90-95% pale malt, 1-2% acid and the rest caramalt. Bittering charge, hop steep at 95c for 15mins, cube hop at 82 for 10 mins. Simples. 

I have a couple of good rotators being a Irish stout and a full Irish stout, a red IPA and Saison’s that I bottle. 

• Like 1

I should have added to my other post, that the pale ales differ each time in hop varieties but the grain bill remains the same. It's never really the same recipe but as a style I have it on tap regularly, once every third batch.

I've got my pilsner where I'm happy with it so it doesn't change anymore other than varying hop weights depending on the alpha content, and sometimes I change the yeast. That and the red ale are the main regular recipes I make. The stout and porter recipes also stay more or less the same but are brewed less regularly. These are the go to winter beers, and since we only have about 2 or 3 months of freezing (for here) weather, I generally only do one of them a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

the pale ales differ each time in hop varieties but the grain bill remains the same.

What is your grain bill?? 

I’m enjoying 90% pale malt, 5% caramunich 1 and 5% oats for a change. I usually do 90% pale malt and 10% wheat. 

I do pretty much all Pale Ales these days. A 3.8% for summer and a 4.3% for winter.

Malt: 50% Maris, 35% Vienna, 10% Munich, 5% CarPils. (Or alternatively 65% Pilsner, 30% Wheat, 5% Carapils)

Hops: bittering Simcoe, late and dry from Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Nelson, Amarillo, Cascade.

Yeast: Almost all ways US-05 harvested.

Cheers

I keep coming back to pale ales, golden ales, bitters, ambers and in fact any style really that is close to these.  In part that's because I personally like the balance of these styles but also because other styles tend not to be so well-received by others in the household!  My summer saisons for example were reluctantly consumed but not really liked, and darker beers like porters and stouts haven't exactly been hits with the others either.    🤨      

On first tasting (2 weeks) my latest PA/Hoppy Golden Ale/NZ Pilsner - call it what you like, could well be a contender for a regular household brew.  A 50/50 extract/mash using Gladfield American Ale malt, a small dose of light crystal and wheat, largely showcasing Riwaka hops.  

I enjoy experimenting too much to brew the same beers. I have 4-5 I've brewed multiple times but am erratic about when I brew them.

The only beer I make with any regularity each year is my Mosaic Amber Ale during the Autumn/Winter period. It's due for another brewing pretty soon too.

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Roughly 80% ale, 9% Munich II, and 6% medium crystal. There is a small acid malt addition as well, so those figures aren't exact but pretty close. 

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Those numbers aren't quite right, it's more around 83-84% pale/ale malt. 

...so it's basically a lie? 😜

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

...so it's basically a lie😜

I absolutely love the banter on this forum!! 

The majority of the time it’s friendly and rarely do people take offence. It’s the best home brewing forum by far!! 

Beer Baron

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I tend to brew seasonally:

• Summer is for all manner of saisons, different every time
  • Early / mid Autumn is for English and American ales, leaning towards the malty end, different pretty much every time
  • Late Autumn / Winter is for all manner of lagers, traditional, new-world, experimental, different pretty much every time
  • Spring is for English, American and German ales, leaning towards the hoppy end (other than the hefeweizens), different pretty much every time

But then I'll throw in some random stuff, whatever will ferment happily at a bit below ambient.

There are a few beers that I do plan on re-brewing in the coming months, with some tweaks:

• Autumn / Winter, my dry hopped Aramis pils, but with more bittering (1.2:1 BU:GU ratio this time) 
  • Spring, my Centennial DIPA, but without any crystal malt, and my Dunkelweizen
  • Summer, my Pacific Saison, but all-grain, and my Kumquat Saison, but with the juice squeezed out of the kumquats first to tone down the acidity a little

There's plenty of styles I haven't brewed yet to fill in the gaps, and plenty of room for variation in the styles I have brewed. I really want to do anothet Old Ale at some point (that was sensational) and have been wanting to make a chili, coconut, cinnamon and cocoa stout for years (maybe I'll do it with a lager yeast this winter). 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

I grew up in Scotland, my choice of beer was limited to Tennants Lager or McEwens export with the odd bottle of Newcastle brown or a Carlsberg Special brew. When i was 16 i joined the army and sampled my first english bitter in Aldershot. It was flat and tasted like $hit. When i was a little older i moved to England, Lincolnshire in fact and my local had the standard John Smiths varieties of bitters plus a guest beer every week. These bitters were vastly different from my first bitter taste and i fell in love with the style. The best beer i ever had was a tetleys bitter when i went to watch a rugby world cup game. I had tetleys before but never was it this good. Since i have been brewing i have strived to perfect the English bitter style of beer. I have come close on a few occasions but the last one i did was spot on. It will become my go to beer.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Since i have been brewing i have strived to perfect the English bitter style of beer. I have come close on a few occasions but the last one i did was spot on. It will become my go to beer.

Seriously Titan, that is bloody good mate. I’m so happy for ya bud. 

Well done!!

This has got to be one of the best things about this hobby!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, how long into this wonderful hobby did it take before you found your go to brew ... I have been brewing a huge variety of beers over the last 16 months and now realise i am holding way too much stock ... over 33 dozen stubbies of Rice beers, Czech Pils, European and Australian Lagers, English Bitters, Stouts, Dark Ales, IPA's, APA's, Golden Ales, Real Ales and I have finally realised that all I need is a couple of  ales with shop additions and a Pilsner/lager that is lagering and when that is ready to drink put down another ... so probably need 10 dozen at most ...  anyway back to the question how long did it take before you found your go to brew?

I've been throwing away IPA's and English Bitters. Only a couple of dozen or so to recoup the glass bottles, and knowing I won't enjoy them.

I have settled on Pale Ales for both summer and winter. Winter being less hoppy but higher ABV.

After 3 years and now All Grain, I am now honing the tastes with subtle malt changes and hop schedule changes.

Cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just wondering, how long into this wonderful hobby did it take before you found your go to brew ... I have been brewing a huge variety of beers over the last 16 months and now realise i am holding way too much stock ... over 33 dozen stubbies of Rice beers, Czech Pils, European and Australian Lagers, English Bitters, Stouts, Dark Ales, IPA's, APA's, Golden Ales, Real Ales and I have finally realised that all I need is a couple of  ales with shop additions and a Pilsner/lager that is lagering and when that is ready to drink put down another ... so probably need 10 dozen at most ...  anyway back to the question how long did it take before you found your go to brew?

You must have a big shed. If you are overstocked I can certainly help clear so E for you 👍