Coopers Community

Anarchy IPA - is great! What next?

Davox

Just opened an Anarchy IPA after four weeks carbonating in the bottle. Damn fine beer. This is the first Coopers recipe I've tried. A bit adventurous for me using malt grain and three types of hop. Followed the instructions to the letter (except had to substitute the Chinook hops with Amarillo). Couldn't have worked out better but maybe another 25g of dried hops next time. "As good as a bought one" as they say. Looking to try another Coppers recipe. Any recommendations?

Really depends on what sort of beers you like. I can't help much, as I use the coopers recipes as the reliable base for a beer style, then tweak them a bit. For example, the ones that use 1.5kg of fermentables, I always drop to 1kg, as I don't want to make 5.7%+ beer. that often

• Like 1

I brewed Anarchy IPA on the weekend. I couldnt get my hands on Chinook hops so i found Columbus could be good sub. Will dry hop with Cascade and Simcoe on day 6 or 7. Looking forward to this drop and to experiment further with the recepie

• Like 1

This IPA is my next. My first brew with a decent sized grain steep. My tweaks are

• Black Rock Pale ( tried Coopers, not a fan)
  • 1kg LDM - No LME
  • 25g Chinook to bitter - may drop the stated 30m, as my malt inclusion is lower than the recipe, so thinking a shorter boil is more appropriate?
  • 25g Chinook 50g Simcoe to DH
  • US04

I'm taking a break from pales after this. Have a Pilsner and Brown ale conditioning. Will be looking to brew some darker beer over winter. Browns, Bitters etc. Can't see myself getting through 23l of stout.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, MitchBastard said:

I really enjoyed making and drinking the “red rattler” ale from the recipe section. 

Or the gash slugg hoppy pale ale on the cellar dwellars YouTube channel. It uses the coopers PA can as a base.

both good every day drinkers 

Caught the Gash Slug vid on YouTube. It actually got me inspired to try the Anarchy recipe. I'll check out the Red Rattler in the meantime bought the Shark Fin kit. I'll get that bubbling on the weekend and Red Rattler after that, it looks a goodee. Cheers and thanks for the tip.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I recommend any of the Hop Slam IPA recipes.  Also the Great Lakes IPA was a goody.  Too many to choose from really.

I like Lab Rat's idea of dialling back the fermentables too.  Drinking six of those higher ABV beers while watching the footy and I am likely to forget the result.

Thanks for the tip. I have some Motueka hops in the fridge so could give the Hop Slam a whirl. Maybe one less box of dried malt? Know what you mean with the high ABV. Four schooners enough for me!

On 4/22/2019 at 9:35 PM, Lab Rat said:

This IPA is my next. My first brew with a decent sized grain steep. My tweaks are

• Black Rock Pale ( tried Coopers, not a fan)
  • 1kg LDM - No LME
  • 25g Chinook to bitter - may drop the stated 30m, as my malt inclusion is lower than the recipe, so thinking a shorter boil is more appropriate?
  • US04

I'm taking a break from pales after this. Have a Pilsner and Brown ale conditioning. Will be looking to brew some darker beer over winter. Browns, Bitters etc. Can't see myself getting through 23l of stout.

Hah! Yep, those dark beers are a commitment. I've just done a Pils (Black Rock). Not sure how its gone. Put out a terrible sulphur stink (which I believe is normal for larger yeasts) but calmed down enough to bottle. Had it in the fermenter for 16 days until it smelt like beer. Wort tasted good prior to bottling. Fingers crossed. Cheers.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, Tömmy8888 said:

I brewed Anarchy IPA on the weekend. I couldnt get my hands on Chinook hops so i found Columbus could be good sub. Will dry hop with Cascade and Simcoe on day 6 or 7. Looking forward to this drop and to experiment further with the recepie

Cheers! hope it goes well Im enjoying mine right now. Defiantly try it again but wth a mix of NZ and Aus hops. Motueka, Galaxy and Engima?

6 minutes ago, Davox said:

Hah! Yep, those dark beers are a commitment. I've just done a Pils (Black Rock). Not sure how its gone. Put out a terrible sulphur stink (which I believe is normal for larger yeasts) but calmed down enough to bottle. Had it in the fermenter for 16 days until it smelt like beer. Wort tasted good prior to bottling. Fingers crossed. Cheers.

You'll find the Pils and lagers more work and time. I have a Pils I'm waiting on, took 2 weeks to brew and chill and now a month in bottles to see if it was worth the wait.

If it tasted ok prior to bottling you should be fine.

I did the Wakatu Pils, their crafted kit. I really shoulda done it with Saaz instead of Perle. I reckon the standard pilsener kit is good enough if you're adding hops etc to it.

3 hours ago, Davox said:

Thanks for the tip. I have some Motueka hops in the fridge so could give the Hop Slam a whirl. Maybe one less box of dried malt? Know what you mean with the high ABV. Four schooners enough for me!

Hey Davox, You could definitely use just the two boxes of LDM.  ABV would still be in the high 4's

I've done a lot of Hop Slam and 1st Borough Lager recipes (all with experimentation) but my latest go-to would have to be the Shark Attack XPA. It's a simple recipe that produces a great crowd pleasing beer.

The only downside is the simplicity, if you're looking to expand your horizons on flavour or brewing technique, it's not going to tick those boxes.

You can always mix things up and experiment once you have the base recipe down 🤓

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, Lab Rat said:

• Pale Ale can
  • 1kg LDM - No LME
  • US04

Cracked one of these yesterday. Thought the hops and bittering schedule would be too much for me (not a big IPA fan, no, I have no idea why I wanted to brew this), but this as a top shelf beer, if if I think so myself - I'll be drinking most of it...

Finished a few points high 1014, so only 4% with bottle sugar. Bog flavour though, so this one is L'il IPA.

• Like 1