Coopers Community

Chocolate and Vanilla Stout

Olemate

Afternoon all. Seriously considering putting down Gash Slug's "Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout". Has anyone tried it?

If I brewed it to >5% ABV how do you think it would age? I'd like to put something aside for a couple of months until winter.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

http://www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/extract-brewing/extract-recipes/extract-stouts/extract-stouts

Also on Gash Slug Brewing youtube channel.

• Like 1

I think it would age very well.

But I think you've left it a bit late for this winter. A couple of months is nothing really when ageing a stout.
I usually do a toucan with Choc Malt. I start drinking it after a couple of months and I like it.
Three to four months is best for my tastebuds.
Anything after six months I don't really like it. It tastes too much like coffee to me and I don't drink coffee.

Those vanilla beans aren't cheap either.

Edited by Graculus

14 hours ago, Olemate said:

Thanks chaps, I'll give it a crack. Love coffee, it doesn't love me😢

At least I can give it a couple of months, on gas at room temp is the way to go I guess.

Cheers

If you don't want to go to the trouble of all that, just do a toucan + Choc Malt.
Drinkable after a month or so. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I usually add 250 grams of Choc Malt. You can steep it overnight in cold water.
Then strain it off and boil.

The only time I tried using Vanilla was when I added Vanilla Essence at bottling stage.
It did not work.

I've got three stouts in the garage ageing.
Imperial Russian that is only six months or so old. I'm hoping this isn't too coffee flavoured.
Toucan + Choc Malt, made in January so I'll be drinking that soon before the coffee flavour takes over.
A case of Toucan + Choc Malt made in June 2016. The coffee flavour is immense. Had some friends over recently.
I opened a bottle and poured into three glasses. The puffing of cheeks and rolled eyes  when they tried it was funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Olemate said:

Afternoon all. Seriously considering putting down Gash Slug's "Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout". Has anyone tried it?

If I brewed it to >5% ABV how do you think it would age? I'd like to put something aside for a couple of months until winter.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

http://www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/extract-brewing/extract-recipes/extract-stouts/extract-stouts

Also on Gash Slug Brewing youtube channel.

If you want to age it, best to have the ABV above 5.5%. 

Edited by ChristinaS1

Thanks for your thoughts. Christina, I guess I could cut back on the volume 19L perhaps, might bring the ABV up enough. By the same token I don't want to blow my socks off. 😉

Graculus, when you say it didn't work, what do you mean? The vanilla was lost in the chocolate?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Olemate

13 hours ago, Olemate said:

Thanks for your thoughts. Christina, I guess I could cut back on the volume 19L perhaps, might bring the ABV up enough. By the same token I don't want to blow my socks off. 😉

Graculus, when you say it didn't work, what do you mean? The vanilla was lost in the chocolate?

Cheers

Mark

I couldn't taste the vanilla at all. I'd have to check my notes but I think I added 3ml of vanilla essence per litre of beer.
I might try again and add more.

If I were you I'd just make the toucan and drink it this winter.

Then if you want to make another stout, maybe think about making September time to drink next winter.

Talking about knocking your socks off. My Imperial Stout ended up at about 10%.

Edited by Graculus

I’ve not heard of  of vanilla in Stout, I would like to taste one before I brewed one.

i think if vanilla is too strong may ruin the stout sharpness? I personally prefer chocolate and coffee flavours.

On a cold night I settle in with Irish stout, rum & rasin chocolate and a drop of port. Match made in heaven 😉

• Like 5

I just brewed a chocolate and vanilla stout on Sunday. It will be 7.3% in the bottle. I was hoping to have it brewed and bottled a couple
Of months ago but time got away from me. Really looking forward to this one being ready to drink.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

I’ve not heard of  of vanilla in Stout, I would like to taste one before I brewed one.

i think if vanilla is too strong may ruin the stout sharpness? I personally prefer chocolate and coffee flavours.

On a cold night I settle in with Irish stout, rum & rasin chocolate and a drop of port. Match made in heaven 😉

When done properly, vanilla in a stout is awesome.

• Like 2

Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout is great. If you ever find it on nitro then you need to treat yourself.

Not sure of many widely available examples, they tend to be limited release beers.

Yenda did one called Twist and Stout which wasn't too bad. I'm not sure if that is still around.

One thing to keep in mind when brewing with vanilla is that yeast eat vanillin, so add it after fermentation, and as close to packaging as possible. I could be totally wrong, but I suspect that stout made with vanilla is probably better suited to forced carbonation / kegging than bottle carbonation.

I believe Thirsty Cow uses liquid vanilla extract, not the beans.

Cheers,

Christina.