Beer Baron

Time to Start Milling My Own Grain

I think it’s time I got my own grain mill. This is meant to be 1.5mm but looks quite fine in areas and have a look at that flour!!! 

Surely this is the reason a heap of grain is getting into my Grainfather and my top plate is getting compressed down. 

So what is a good decent grain mill?? 

Cheers, Beer Baron

AC86B5D5-D52D-43E8-A784-B446C67390A3.jpeg

I can't advise on mills but I can say LHBs's tend to set their mills at 'one size fits all' setting.   I found this problematic when milling smaller grains individually - like wheat and rye.  Gladfield wheat in particular was a nightmare!  

I wonder if they've accidentally got the mill set wide at one end and narrow at the other. 1.5mm is pretty coarse though, Mine's set to about 1mm or maybe a bit less.

I have a mash master mini mill. Can't fault it. Would recommend.

41 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I can't advise on mills but I can say LHBs's tend to set their mills at 'one size fits all' setting.   I found this problematic when milling smaller grains individually - like wheat and rye.  Gladfield wheat in particular was a nightmare!  

When I order I can choose fine, medium and coarse so HE SHOULD be changing it. 

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wonder if they've accidentally got the mill set wide at one end and narrow at the other. 1.5mm is pretty coarse though, Mine's set to about 1mm or maybe a bit less.

I have a mash master mini mill. Can't fault it. Would recommend.

Some parts look 1.5mm but some are pulverised. Do you have a good place to buy the Mash Master

I got mine from Craftbrewer years ago when I first started and they still sell them, but you could probably order it directly from the mash master website as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a basic malt muncher off catch of the day for quite cheap, iv only ran about 30kg of grain through it but so far I have hit my efficiency's and cant fault it. I would recommend going the extra few dollars and getting the 3 roller. 

• Like 1

Back to basics here on this thread;

I'm buying my grain bill from my LHBS, milled, for approx $5/kg. My bill is 4 types of grain.

I provide them my lidded tradie container (tare 610gms), so I can double check my purchased grainweight.

At my price - $5 - can I justify the purchase of a Grain Mill when buying multiple types of base and speciality grains.

What price would I pay for bulk grain/kg?

How long for return on expenditure - pay back?

Cheers

Although, I appreciate return on expenditure may not be the motivation if you want a specific mill and your reason is craft only.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

Payback under a year worthog. 25kg Bag of grain for 60 bucks = 2.40 per kg. I buy the specialty stuff for each batch and do the base malt in bulk. Usually have an ale malt and a pilsener bag in the garage.

• Thanks 1

$10 per batch payback. 30 Batches a year equals $300/yr = a grain mill.

Something to think about, if the right base grains can be procured and delivered at the price.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

5 minutes ago, Worthog said:

$10 per batch payback. 30 Batches a year equals $300/yr = a grain mill.

Something to think about, if the right base grains can be procured and delivered at the price.

Cheers

Yep. And you have control over your crush too. For me its a no brainer.

• Like 2

The thing I like about milling my own is not having to buy any of the grains by the batch/per recipe. I put all my grains in various sized buckets, the ale and pilsner malts in two 60L fermenter style ones, and other grains in those handy pails from Bunnings. I buy Munich II 5kg at a time, specialty malts I'll buy either 2 or 3kg at a time. I always have whatever I need for whatever recipe I'm brewing and simply mill what's needed for it on brew day morning. It's not worth the trip buying it per batch for me as it's about a 1.5-2 hour round trip to Craftbrewer now, and the close by brew shop has a shit range that's expensive as well.

• Like 2

Hop and grain at marrickville allow no minimum weight grain bills. So what i do is buy the speciality only already pre weighed and bagged. Usually I visit once a month or so and buy them for the next 4 batches or so. Works a treat. 

• Like 1

A mill is definitely next on my list purely to control my crush but then I will have to buy tubs to store bulk grain and then buy the bulk grain..............It never ends😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

A mill is definitely next on my list purely to control my crush but then I will have to buy tubs to store bulk grain and then buy the bulk grain..............It never ends😂

No need for tubs. Just leave it in the bag it came in mate. I tie mine off with a tie and put a couple of sicilia bags in with the grain. Never had a problem.

25 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

No need for tubs. Just leave it in the bag it came in mate. I tie mine off with a tie and put a couple of sicilia bags in with the grain. Never had a problem.

That won’t help my OCD ha ha ha

I have a https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill-3-roller.html 

I like the three roller as the first gap is wide, and second gap adjustable, means no issues with wheat bouncing out, no messing about with hydrating grain to make it go through. New fluted rollers on two rollers probably fix those problems but for me, the three roller is a winner. These are a cheaper option compared to the millmaster, but my 4 plus year old maltmuncher, has milled some 80 batches worth so probably not far off half a tonne of grain, and no issues with bearings or any other problem. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yep. And you have control over your crush too. For me its a no brainer.

I had some issues with my LHBS, I just could never trust that they were making up as I requested. 

once I asked for say 90g of some darker crystal malt and they gave me 900g, milled  it all into the rest of the grain bill. Didn’t find out till I mashed in. Thought that’s a bit dark. Checked the receipt. Not winning! Think I gave them a cube of shitty wort for that one.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I had some issues with my LHBS, I just could never trust that they were making up as I requested....

I provide my LHBS with my lidded tradie pale, which I have clearly marked with indelible pen "610gms Tare".

I print my grain order for, say 4.6kg of 4 diff grains, and stick it on the lid. 

When I get home I weigh for 5210gms. At least I know the grain weight is correct, if not the crushed mix.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worthog said:

I provide my LHBS with my lidded tradie pale, which I have clearly marked with indelible pen "610gms Tare".

I print my grain order for, say 4.6kg of 4 diff grains, and stick it on the lid. 

When I get home I weigh for 5210gms. At least I know the grain weight is correct, if not the crushed mix.

Cheers

Good idea, I usually did the same sort of thing but after that mistake I just couldn’t trust them. 

Especially when you ask for 45g of Black patent, and get 54g ha ha it’s gone from a red ale to a black stout!!!!

Clearly exaggerating but you get my drift. 

Yeah I just couldn’t trust them to get it right, and when your talking about consistent brews, that was one variable I was taking out of the equation.

3 hours ago, Worthog said:

I'm seriously thinking about one of these, and sourcing my 2 main base grains, bulk.

Cheers

That’s my plan too!!