Coopers Community

Time to Start Milling My Own Grain

Beer Baron

I have thought about getting a mill at some point, but ruled it out because I cycle up to my LHBS at lunch time to buy my grain.

Buying in bulk wouldn't work so well on my roadie ... putting 7kg cracked grain in my backpack for my Doppelbock was already enough extra weight even if it was only a 6km ride back to the office and then another 10km home from work later on.

I don't mind paying the $5 or $6 / kg for cracked grain. Luckily it seems like my LHBS does a pretty good crush too. The new owner is really good. 

The 3 roller Malt Muncher looks pretty good for anyone in the market though! 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

It is very good in my experience. Keep in mind you will need a high torque low rpm drill to run this thing. It does have a 12mm drive shaft, and some cheaper battery drills only have a 10mm chuck. Cheaper 240v drills can have 13mm chucks, but they tend to spin too fast. You want about 200 rpm, which battery drills with the standard two speed gearbox will run this mill just fine.

I use a pretty cheap aldi battery drill, with a larger external chuck fitted, something like this. Was $12 when I bought one of these chuck adapters.  

A drill driver is what it's called. All of this type have varying torque and speed settings. As mentioned I always have mine set on low speed at the highest torque when using it for running the mill. 

Mine is an ALDI one as well, 18v cordless with a 13mm chuck. Dad gave it to me a while ago for using with the mill, but since I moved out it's had some other uses too. It's a good unit. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, porschemad911 said:

I have thought about getting a mill at some point, but ruled it out because I cycle up to my LHBS at lunch time to buy my grain.

Cheers, 

John 

If I was to cycle up to my not so LHBS it’ll take me 3 Months 😂🍺

• Haha 3