Coopers Community

How to properly harvest yeast?

MitchellScott

Hi guys. 

Since I am finding many of my brews are using US-05 yeast now, I want to look into the ways of properly harvesting the yeast from the trub. 

1. How do you get it out? Just scoop it out with a strelised spoon? 

2. How much of it do you need? 

3. Do you only take the top bit of the trub? Or any? 

4. How to clean it? 

5. How to store? 

And obviously any other info I would need to know 🙂

Thanks brains trust! 

I had the same question about 10 days ago...I’m using @Shamus O'Sean method of leaving about the same amount of beer in the FV as yeast cake, giving it a swirl up and then into a sanitized jar. Chuck er in the fridge. Over a few days all settles out and you’re left with a jar of beer and some yeast. Dead yeast and hops will be at the very bottom and then your creamy yeasties above that. 

Im yet to use said yeast but it’s next on the list 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Hi guys. 

Since I am finding many of my brews are using US-05 yeast now, I want to look into the ways of properly harvesting the yeast from the trub. 

1. How do you get it out? Just scoop it out with a strelised spoon? 

2. How much of it do you need? 

3. Do you only take the top bit of the trub? Or any? 

4. How to clean it? 

5. How to store? 

And obviously any other info I would need to know 🙂

Thanks brains trust! 

1. After bottling leave approximately 3-5mm of beer on the trub. Swirl the whole FV up. If you have cold crashed prior to bottling, allow time to warm enough to swirl together. Simply tip FV and pour through the tap.
  2. 3/4 Fill a sanitised PET
  3. Cap it and put it straight in the fridge to settle out.
  4. Don't bother cleaning it.
  5. Fridge.

When you wish to use, take from fridge, pour off 1/3 of the beer. Swirl the PET up, leaving the harder trub at bottom. Pour approximately 200ml off the top straight into your new FV wort.

You're off and running!

Harvest your trub again, many times. I have recycled US05 like this up to 6 times, but you could go further.

Cheers

• Like 3

That's the way I'd go if you're just beginning to harvest yeast. I kinda wish I'd gone that way back when I started mucking around with it. Instead I tried washing the yeast as well and that's why I gave up harvesting for a while.

I do much the same as the fermenter method with my starters but it's a little more in depth. Basically I deliberately make the starter bigger than necessary and harvest the excess. If you get into making starters one day, there is a thread I started on harvesting yeast from them. 

• Like 1

I am currently using my 1st yeast harvest, M36 Liberty bell, in an APA ... I used the methods as described Worthog ... piss easy ...  I collect it in a stubby and caped it then put in fridge ...  the current brew started at 1040 and is now at 1018 after 40 hours at 18.5 degrees ... It works a  treat ... 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

The first time doing this method worked perfectly 🙂 thanks for the help guys.

I just saved some from the above brew that went beautifully, so it will be the second generation, but I didn't get as much as I expected in the bottle... Obviously I didn't let it warm enough after cold crashing and it didn't mix up properly - see pic attached. 

Do you think this is enough for a brew or should I tip it and grab a new pack for the next brew? 

Also, how long is the longest you would wanna leave the yeast before using it again? I have it stored in a sanitised pet bottle kept in the fridge. 

Cheers. 

20190528_190850.jpg

It's probably about 100mL of yeast but without knowing the density of it, who knows how many cells are there. It could be 100 billion or it could be 300 billion. 

I wouldn't necessarily tip it but maybe use it on a light beer or a small batch. It may not be enough for a decent pitch in a standard volume and OG batch. Use it within a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's probably about 100mL of yeast but without knowing the density of it, who knows how many cells are there. It could be 100 billion or it could be 300 billion. 

I wouldn't necessarily tip it but maybe use it on a light beer or a small batch. It may not be enough for a decent pitch in a standard volume and OG batch. Use it within a couple of weeks. 

Thanks OVB. 

I may be doing a lager next so if that's the case I may tip it as it will be longer then 2 weeks in the fridge. Will see how I go. Could always pitch it with a pack of dry yeast into a high gravity wort. 

Cheers.