Coopers Community

First brew questions & where to next?

ozlizard

mmm ok good advice but I don't recall seeing a commercial Saison around, but I guess Dan Murphy would have one? Will have  a look next time I am over that way.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

I’d suggest buying a commercial beer before brewing 23 odd litres 

Yeah that's why I would only do a 10lt brew. Just in case 😉

If anyone has seen the movie Snatch with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham, you would know what an Irish pikey is. Suffice to say growing up in Ireland I went to school with said pikeys.  Their hygiene and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired as they are gypsys that live in caravans, don’t conform to normal society and live off the grid more or less

i had a saison once. It tasted like drinking from the bath that a pikey bathed in for two hours 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

If anyone has seen the movie Snatch with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham, you would know what an Irish pikey is. Suffice to say growing up in Ireland I went to school with said pikeys.  Their hygiene and cleanliness leave a lot to be desired as they are gypsys that live in caravans, don’t conform to normal society and live off the grid more or less

i had a saison once. It tasted like drinking from the bath that a pikey bathed in for two hours 

In South Australia pikeys are called Port supporters. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Thanks for that enlightening recommendation! Guess I am going to find out what a pikey tastes like. Still if it tastes like a port supporter that means they have been fermented. Got to love that!

• Haha 2

@ozlizard

Black Brewing in margs do a nice mellow Saison 

Another to try is one from Dans that is easily accessible is bridge road Chevalier.

Id suggest though, getting to Cape Cellars in Busso and getting yourself a ptsssssssstt!!!! from Fantome. It’ll be $30 for a 750 bottle but it’s amazing. I’ve converted many a person now that “hated” Saison with that beer. 

6637CD41-FE81-4B8E-85B1-56C63C07361F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozlizard said:

Thanks Captain will have to get over there! Love the colour.

No worries mate. Busso is fairly close to you anyway I guess. They have a great craft beer section. Things you won't see at any other beer store.

Either that or Mojo's in Bunbury have a great selection of weird and wonderful beers to try

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

No worries mate. Busso is fairly close to you anyway I guess. They have a great craft beer section. Things you won't see at any other beer store.

Either that or Mojo's in Bunbury have a great selection of weird and wonderful beers to try

Yep always good for a nice drive over that way. Had a few brews with Chris from SW Hops yesterday (he liked my NEIPA) and he mentioned Mojo's. Good to know someone local who knows a thing or two! He's just getting into water profiling, so lot's to learn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozlizard said:

Yep always good for a nice drive over that way. Had a few brews with Chris from SW Hops yesterday (he liked my NEIPA) and he mentioned Mojo's. Good to know someone local who knows a thing or two! He's just getting into water profiling, so lot's to learn.

Chris is such a good lad. 

Yeah, Mojos are really on the front foot about having exceptional beer for a reasonable price tag. The weird farmhouse range is by far the best I have seen ever before

Any of you guys entering the home brew comp in the Brew House Margs in a few weeks. After sampling my first all grain, I’d be keen to enter it for the craic. It’s on a Friday though 26July so would be pushing it time wise from Perth 

16 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Any of you guys entering the home brew comp in the Brew House Margs in a few weeks. After sampling my first all grain, I’d be keen to enter it for the craic. It’s on a Friday though 26July so would be pushing it time wise from Perth 

Bit early in the game for me! Could do just for a laugh, will check it out.

15 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Nah. It’s be interesting to enter my Hibiscus pale but that’d just to see if they liked it or not. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Irish pikey

I have only heard them referred to as "Stokes"  mind you that may be a regional derivation as most of my time has been spent around  the north West in County Donegal and County Tyrone ...  

Hey @ozlizard

Here's the recipe I mentioned earlier if it's of any use. Sorry about the imperial measurements. I grabbed it from here

For 5.5 gallons at 1.058, 51 IBUs, 6.5% ABV
GRAIN BILL
6 lbs Pilsner Malt 
4 lbs Wheat Malt 
0.5 lbs Munich Malt
0.7 lbs White Table Sugar

MASH SCHEDULE
Rest
149°F 60 minutes

HOPS
0.7 oz Magnum Pellet 12%AA 90 minutes
1.8 oz Citra Pellet 11%AA 5 minutes

OTHER INGREDIENTS
1⁄2 tablet Whirlfloc 10 minutes

YEAST
WY3711 French Saison
I've made it a couple of times and plan to again. Twice with Belle Saison yeast instead of the 3711. It's a really good beer. I am partial to Citra though. 
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Popo said:

Here's the recipe I mentioned earlier if it's of any use. Sorry about the imperial measurements.

Cheers Popo, that looks pretty good. I am assuming you can do this as a BIAB?

1 hour ago, ozlizard said:

Cheers Popo, that looks pretty good. I am assuming you can do this as a BIAB?

Yeah, definitely. 

The Captain's recipe looks equally good. I've done something similar with the Amarillo but prefer the Citra for my tastes.

You couldn't go wrong with either of those if you are after something with a bit of hop influence as well.

• Like 1

Time to get brewing. I was thinking of using my notes from the NEIPA with Popo's recipe as it turned out so bloody good!

So this is what I am planning, please feel free to advise adjustments or recommendations!

Saison BIAB

23lt

GRAIN BILL
2.7kg Pilsner Malt 
1.8kg Wheat Malt 
227g Munich Malt
318g White Table Sugar

Heat 5lt water up to 73deg

Steep grain at 67deg for 1 hour

Drain mash and sparge with 4-5lts of hot water

Boil 15min

Add 1lt cold water

Hop Bag

30g Amarillo

30g Citra Pellet 

15 min steep

Transfer to PF and top up with cool water to 23lt

Would also like to dry hop or will that be too much? Was thinking 30g Amarillo and 30g Citra at day 2? Can change out hops depending what SW Hops has to hand but will probably stick with the Citra.

You'll need more than 5 litres of water to mash that amount of grain. I'd be using at least 10 litres, closer to 15. About 3 litres per kg is a pretty good ratio. Also, it's best to boil it longer, 30 minutes at a minimum but 50-60 is better. I don't think you'd get much bitterness from a 15 minute steep in cooled wort. Looking at the above recipes you'll need a 50-60 minute hop addition to get some proper bitterness into it. Then the late additions as normal. Don't bother tipping cold water into the boiled wort, just let it sit there, this will also allow the muck to drop out.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

I wouldn't use 60g of those hops for a 50-60 minute addition. Somewhere between 20 and 30 would work though. If there's no other additions you can probably go a bit nuts with the flameout addition if you wanted to. 60g wouldn't be too little or too much. 

Do you have any brewing software to help work out the numbers a bit?

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Do you have any brewing software to help work out the numbers a bit?

Thanks, noted on the hops. I have had a look at some but it looked a bit complicated although now that I have done a few it might be a good idea to have a go at it. 

Edited by ozlizard