Coopers Community

First brew questions & where to next?

ozlizard

• 2 weeks later...

Blushing Blonde has been bottled for 10 days so thought I would sneak a bottle and see what was going on. Well not much! Virtually no fizz so after the pour it's pretty flat and absolutely no head. Tastes ok but leaves a sour/bitter after taste. So my first attempt is a bit of a failure. Trouble is I have 27 more bottles to go! Should have started with a  small batch I guess. Well you live and learn.

If it was properly carbonated I could  drink it, but like this, no. Is the carbonation likely to improve or is that going to be it?

29 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Blushing Blonde has been bottled for 10 days so thought I would sneak a bottle and see what was going on. Well not much! Virtually no fizz so after the pour it's pretty flat and absolutely no head. Tastes ok but leaves a sour/bitter after taste. So my first attempt is a bit of a failure. Trouble is I have 27 more bottles to go! Should have started with a  small batch I guess. Well you live and learn.

If it was properly carbonated I could  drink it, but like this, no. Is the carbonation likely to improve or is that going to be it?

Where were they stored and what temperature?? 

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Definitely give it more time... 

At a bare minimum I leave my bottles 2 weeks, but generally try to leave them for a month before enjoying to ensure secondary fermentation is complete and carbonation is good 😊

I second that plus you live in Bridgetown Isn’t it cold down there? I struggle to wait two weeks though probably like most people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ozlizard said:

Mate give it a couple more weeks

it’s like a witches tit down in Bridgetown. Was that way last weekend as my uncle is a copper down that way. Brrrrrr (and I’m Irish)

I’m In Perth and I leave it 3 weeks at least before sampling 

• Like 1

Sampled another bottle last night as quite a few of them are getting very firm. Quite a bit of carbonation and some head and it's tasting better. Still has a bitter/sour taste at the finish, probably from the raspberries as I believe they can be acidic. Not bad for a simple home brew and I imagine it will smooth out given more time. Thanks for all the advice fellas!

Now have to "free up" some bottles so I can get onto the next batch 😉 Thinking of a Saison (maybe 134) 8.5 lt batch.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2019 at 12:16 AM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Mate give it a couple more weeks

it’s like a witches tit down in Bridgetown. Was that way last weekend as my uncle is a copper down that way. Brrrrrr (and I’m Irish)

I’m In Perth and I leave it 3 weeks at least before sampling 

Same 3 weeks minimum 👍🍺

NEIPA started at 1.055 and sitting at 1.016 after 7 days. This time I will be more patient. Not sure what the ABV is supposed to be but anything over 5% will be nice. Has a great colour and aroma, haven't had a taste yet but will do before bottling.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

NEIPA started at 1.055 and sitting at 1.016 after 7 days. This time I will be more patient. Not sure what the ABV is supposed to be but anything over 5% will be nice. Has a great colour and aroma, haven't had a taste yet but will do before bottling.

5.1 on the numbers quoted 👍🍺

• Like 1

NEIPA bottled today. Looking how it's suppose to and as I have never had one before not quite sure what to expect for the taste!

OK so here goes. 

Aroma: fruity as in passionfruit, melon, citrus and hops.

Taste: definitely juicy, but not sweet, orange zest, grapefruit especially at the end with a slightly bitter hoppy finish.

A good start, can't wait until it conditions and carbonates.

_DSF0716.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Looks good mate. Hopefully you get that carbed quickly for you to enjoy the beer before it fades too much. 

Thanks Captain, yeah as soon as those bottles start firming up I will be in for a taste. Bloody cold here atm and -2 tomorrow and the next so have to keep those babies warm!

20 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Thanks Captain, yeah as soon as those bottles start firming up I will be in for a taste. Bloody cold here atm and -2 tomorrow and the next so have to keep those babies warm!

Yeah that’s why I don’t live further south ha ha ha. 

Chuck em next to the fire ha ha ha

Currently drinking the NEIPA and , if I do say so myself, it's bloody good, thanks for all the advice on here! Not going to last long at this rate so thinking about the next brew.

I am thinking about a BIAB Saison, so no extract this time. Have watched a YT vid but couldn't get hold of the recipe. Maybe a 10lt brew with some added spices, any ideas or recipes much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

What sort of Saison’s do you like? Funky? Horse blanket? Hoppy? Clean?

Well, I have never had a Saison before but I think we can eliminate horse blanket! I am guessing hoppy or clean with a dash of spicy?

26 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Well, I have never had a Saison before but I think we can eliminate horse blanket! I am guessing hoppy or clean with a dash of spicy?

Well that changes a few things!!!!!!!

you are pretty much never going to get clean with Saison, that’s the nature of the beast. Cleanish but Saisony. 

You can get spice from a number of places, yeast, hops, spices

I’d suggest buying a commercial beer before brewing 23 odd litres