Coopers Community

Great Northern Super Crisp clone recipe

karlos_1984

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I live in Auckland, NZ.   I was horrified at the price of beer at the stores when I visited Brisbane a couple of weeks ago.   Also noticed you can't actually buy booze at the supermarket in Queensland too.   

We live in a cynical nanny nation. It cloaks its cash cow of alcohol excise - around $6 billion/year - under the heading of 'health', using data from the anti-alc lobby, who show how consumption is linked to price.

Their research doesn't extend to looking what alternative substances people turn too. It's a big assumption they just shrug their shoulders, stop and live healthier.

Edited by Lab Rat

11 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

We live in a cynical nanny nation. It cloaks its cash cow of alcohol excise - around $6 billion/year - under the heading of 'health', using data from the anti-alc lobby, who show how consumption is linked to price.

Odd thing is it seemed to be only beer that was (comparitively speaking) grossly over-priced.   Wines and spirits seemed about the same, if not a little cheaper. 

I remember trying that Tui "IPA" a few years ago. I guess you could call it an IPA if it stood for Insipid Piss Ale. Bloody awful sweet crap, no hop presence at all. 

Definitely not a fan of great northern. The other half isn't either, apparently she had some that Saturday a couple of weeks back when she was out with friends and I did a brew day BBQ. Said it had no flavour to it 😂 Furphy is alright for what it is. I remember trying it at the pub and not being impressed but I had some in bottles more over Xmas that the olds gave me and it seemed to taste a bit better. Wouldn't be too bad as a lawnmower beer on a hot day.

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I remember trying that Tui "IPA" a few years ago. I guess you could call it an IPA if it stood for Insipid Piss Ale. Bloody awful sweet crap, no hop presence at all. 

I've tried a few faux craft beers from the meagswill breweries and have a similar opinion for all of them.  None bore any resemblance to the style they were pretending to be.    

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Wouldn't be too bad as a lawnmower beer on a hot day.

Do you ever NOT have a hot day in Brisbane?   😁

• Haha 1

June and July are the coldest months. Tops around 20-22 and down to single digits overnight. Sometimes if it rains all day the top only reaches the teens, but that's about as cold as it gets 😜

I'm out in the western suburbs now so it will be a little colder overnight here compared to the city or east like Wynnum. Coldest it's been so far overnight has been about 13-14. Daytime is the same as everywhere else though.

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Odd thing is it seemed to be only beer that was (comparitively speaking) grossly over-priced.   Wines and spirits seemed about the same, if not a little cheaper. 

Alcohol taxes are even hard for the producers to understand...

On 4/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, BlackSands said:

On a recent visit to Brisbane my son inlaw insisted I try a Great Northern.  Of course I'd never heard of it being from NZ but he insisted it was one of Aussie's best.   Compared to my daughters 2nd ever homebrew - a citra-hopped PA it was one very bland "beer"!   Actually if I was being totally honest with him, which I wasn't, I thought it was absolute sh*t and in all honesty one of the most unremarkable beers I've ever tasted.     🤮    I had another which I really didn't like either... Furphy I think it was the brand??      🤔 

All commercial beer tastes bland compared to a well-hopped home brew.

I recently tried a Fat Yak, which used to be nice on the palate, but couldn't get a taste out of it.