Coopers Community

Great Northern Super Crisp clone recipe

karlos_1984

Oh that is what is in the cans my bro in-law drinks ... he loves the stuff, he always has a couple of cartons of cans in his beer fridge... and yep he calls it real beer too ... he will not touch my brew ...  reckons all HB tastes like cats piss .... poor deluded thing he is ... 

Just now, karlos_1984 said:

It's like saying a "real" good red wine is one that comes in a silver pillow inside a box with a built in tap for convenience...

I hear what your saying Karlos, but there are a couple of good wines out there with the special pillow built in. Actually, who am I kidding. Theres a couple that are ok.

27 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That pretty much says it all 🙂 

No arguing .... however, there is a school of thought that says that cans are excellent for aging beer when placed in cool place as they are opaque ...  and for mine if i am drinking commercial beer i have no issue with cans for that reason ... 

I have been tossing up the idea of making a batch of cerveza with a PoR 15min and flameout addition to show some of my friends how easy and CHEAP it is to make what they want to drink...But I also don't want to make a batch of beer I don't want to drink and just hand out as a "I told you so". I guess if I was more of a jerk and had loads of time and fermenters....hmmm. Yeah nah.

If that is what they like, so be it. People pay for convenience.

So if I fill a keg with water I can just carb it up like normal and have sparkly water?

That's all I do. I mix it with all sorts of cordials and I get the soda stream flavours and use the cola one with my Jack Daniels. Much cheaper way to get cola than buying it, $5 for a concentrate that makes about 10 litres. I just tip some of it in a glass with some whiskey and top it up with soda water. Tastes just like mixing it with Coke or whatever. 👍

16 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

"real beer". Gtfo. Couldn't be any further from being real  beer.

It's like saying a "real" good red wine is one that comes in a silver pillow inside a box with a built in tap for convenience...

Reminds me of good old Monthy Pythons saying about megaswill that that beer is like making love in kanoe : "it's f***ing close to water"

18 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

No arguing .... however, there is a school of thought that says that cans are excellent for aging beer when placed in cool place as they are opaque ...  and for mine if i am drinking commercial beer i have no issue with cans for that reason ... 

Beer in a can isn't an issue really. Many craft breweries sell their product in cans. It's the drinking out of the can I object to. Firstly it tastes festy with the metallic flavour you get and secondly usually isn't a sign of sophistication. I grew up at a place and time, where drinking or even buying beer in cans was a little bit of a no-no and only the lowest quality beers were sold in cans. They were cheap though. So yeah, maybe it's just me 🙂 

On a recent visit to Brisbane my son inlaw insisted I try a Great Northern.  Of course I'd never heard of it being from NZ but he insisted it was one of Aussie's best.   Compared to my daughters 2nd ever homebrew - a citra-hopped PA it was one very bland "beer"!   Actually if I was being totally honest with him, which I wasn't, I thought it was absolute sh*t and in all honesty one of the most unremarkable beers I've ever tasted.     🤮    I had another which I really didn't like either... Furphy I think it was the brand??      🤔 

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

On a recent visit to Brisbane my son inlaw insisted I try a Great Northern.  Of course I'd never heard of it being from NZ but he insisted it was one of Aussie's best.   Compared to my daughters 2nd ever homebrew - a citra-hopped PA it was one very bland "beer"!   Actually if I was being totally honest with him, which I wasn't, I thought it was absolute sh*t and in all honesty one of the most unremarkable beers I've ever tasted.     🤮    I had another which I really didn't like either... Furphy I think it was the brand??      🤔 

Furphy is being sold quite cheap in some bottle o's. Here in Sydney one if the most posh Bottle shop in CBD sells it for $4 a stubbie. To be honest not a fan ..... its a bit tasteless

1 minute ago, Tommy1525230200 said:

Where do you live? For $1.50 in Sydney they wouldnt even let you into the store .....

I actually edited my post... that's a generic megaswill 'pretend' IPA that's around $1.50:

image.png.9080e63f9a8a478cd7ad986233043e8d.png

I live in Auckland, NZ.   I was horrified at the price of beer at the stores when I visited Brisbane a couple of weeks ago.   Also noticed you can't actually buy booze at the supermarket in Queensland too.   

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

I actually edited my post... that's a generic megaswill 'pretend' IPA that's around $1.50:

image.png.9080e63f9a8a478cd7ad986233043e8d.png

I live in Auckland, NZ.   I was horrified at the price of beer at the stores when I visited Brisbane a couple of weeks ago.   Also noticed you can't actually buy booze at the supermarket in Queensland too.   

Wow ...... for that price here you would get probably something like 6 pack of Carlsberg or something. In NSW homebrew is the answer

Archived