Coopers Community

Always have a spare tap!

King Ruddager

I've found that these white Coopers taps brake quite easily, both in the seal and the little plastic snappy bits that twist and lock together. I haven't got one with the new double-o-ring seal yet, but I have one on the way as I just had to crack open the spare again.

And that's the moral of the story - for under $6 (including free delivery), having a spare tap on hand is a no brainer for when you start brewing only to find your current tap is broken.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, Worthog said:

Yep, I buy 2 at a time.

I think I should have done this too! The one I started using in April didn't last long at all.

This next one though is the new design with two o-rings, so hoping that lasts a bit longer!

Yep, I have three taps that have currently failed, out of this batch which I ordered as spares.  Not nice when the tops separates from the bottom beer everywhere.

The "plastic securing tags" can fail top and/or bottom.  They are not robust enough.

I hope that Coopers can get on top of this with their supplier.

Haven’t had any issues mainly because of taking extra care due to reading posts on this forum!

I did get an extra one though as I had a nightmare of my fermenter leaking through the tap (this is recurring by the way)!

Cant be too careful!

Cheers

James

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

These taps are rubbish. I've just had another break. I must say out of all the Coopers products this one must come out as the worst ever.

I don't use my Coopers FV that often. Mainly for volcanic stouts. So although my tap might be a year old it's probably had 3 or 4 uses.

And the last one I bought ended up going around the Aust Post centre for days. I phoned and they told me it was nothing to do with me.

It was between Coopers and Aust Post. They tried to say it was Coopers fault due to a labeling issue, but the label looked fine when it eventually turned up.

I'll have to buy another tap, but when this one breaks, that's it. The Coopers FV will be on the council pick up.

That's it rant over. No stout being made this weekend.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Graculus said:

These taps are rubbish. I've just had another break. I must say out of all the Coopers products this one must come out as the worst ever.

I don't use my Coopers FV that often. Mainly for volcanic stouts. So although my tap might be a year old it's probably had 3 or 4 uses.

And the last one I bought ended up going around the Aust Post centre for days. I phoned and they told me it was nothing to do with me.

It was between Coopers and Aust Post. They tried to say it was Coopers fault due to a labeling issue, but the label looked fine when it eventually turned up.

I'll have to buy another tap, but when this one breaks, that's it. The Coopers FV will be on the council pick up.

That's it rant over. No stout being made this weekend.

Are you using the double o-ring tap?

Mine has been, touch wood, fine.

What is breaking/failing?

Edited by MitchellScott

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

These taps are rubbish. I've just had another break. I must say out of all the Coopers products this one must come out as the worst ....

I quite like the new double o ring tap. The only problem I ever had was with the robustness of the previous rubber ring which would fall apart.

You need to "help" the plastic connector tabs by pushing the 2 halves together before you twist-lock.

I've never had a breakage of the tabs. That's not to say they should not be more robust.

Cheers

The clip in the first pic wouldn't clip down onto the FV so I had to use a cable tie to hold it in place.

2nd pic is where the place tab broke first. 3rd pic I've just noticed this when I went to take pics.

The dirt on them is from where I left them on the chook shed roof in disgust when they broke.

I'd used the FV and had filled it with water and sodium percarbonate. I went out about an hour or so later to empty it.

I picked it up to move it a foot or so over a drain and the top of the tap came flying out.

I still have the original tap I got with the FV, December 2014.
The reason I bought a new one was because I had a brew that was infected.
I think I'll sterilise the old tap and see how it goes.

20190802_121651.jpg

20190802_121643.jpg

20190802_121631.jpg

• Like 1

I spoke to Coopers about the problem of the separation of the two halves of this tap and they were good enough to send me some more at no charge.

The problem I believe is that the type of plastic used has no "give" and this is the cause of the locking tabs breaking.  I have seen this type "failure" on other items using this type of plastic such as  the ridged white plastic pipe fittings used in garden reticulation.

I now tape the two halves of the snap tap together as a precaution.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I spoke to Coopers about the problem of the separation of the two halves of this tap and they were good enough to send me some more at no charge.

The problem I believe is that the type of plastic used has no "give" and this is the cause of the locking tabs breaking.  I have seen this type "failure" on other items using this type of plastic such as  the ridged white plastic pipe fittings used in garden reticulation.

I now tape the two halves of the snap tap together as a precaution.

Something has obviously changed. I used the FV a lot when I first got it, and as I say I still have the original tap.

This tap has had far fewer uses.

• Like 1

Touch wood,  I have never had any issues with the Coopers taps, but have replaced them after reading about failures on here.

You do have to be super careful when separating and putting the tap back together.

Got my 2 new ones in the mail and one is in the FV being used now.

I put a bit of keg lube on the O Rings, before putting it in the FV.

Paranoid now that I put too much lube  on, potentially making it easier for the tap assembly to fly out!

The tab that clicks onto the FV is at least long enough now, I seem to remember the older type ones didn’t click on properly?

Cheers

James

• 8 months later...
25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sounds like he fluffed it if a 3 wood only went from the front lawn to the footpath or whatever. Should have flown over the block and smashed a window 😂😂

Well, I didn't know the technical terms but I figured either that or he got under it and it went 75m in the air and back to the nature strip. 😄

• Haha 1