Should I add additional yeast to my Coopers Crown Lager to improve on the yeast supplied with the can.

At what stage do you test for the OG.

Thanks

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, scouser said:

Should I add additional yeast to my Coopers Crown Lager to improve on the yeast supplied with the can.

At what stage do you test for the OG.

Thanks

Hi Scouser,

The Lager yeast which comes with Coopers Golden Crown Lager is very good and does not require any addition if used as to the procedure.

I suggest you try to begin and sustain fermentation at as close to 12c as you can.

The OG should be tested when you have combined all ingredients and just before adding the yeast if you can.

The fermentation of this product will take up to 2 weeks if you maintain the 12c.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

It's not the quality of the yeast that's the question, but the quantity. Being a lager it should be ideally pitched with double what you'd use for an ale if you are planning to do a proper lager fermentation. 

There is a method that involves pitching less yeast at a warmer temperature than the ferment temp ends up being, i.e. pitch it at 18-20 degrees then bring it down to 12 after 15-20 hours. It works but I don't think it produces as nice a beer as pitching more yeast at or a bit below fermentation temp. 

At the end of the day it's up to you. Pitch the kit yeast warmer and bring down, or get the wort temp down first and pitch more yeast. 

• Like 1

Extra yeast would only improve the kit,  rehydrate at the very least. 

34/70 would be a good choice. 

As Otto mentioned there's nothing wrong with the supplied yeast assuming it's stored correctly but there's just not enough to ensure a strong , clean ferment 

• Like 1

Alternatively, you could make a "Shaken Not Stirred" starter with the supplied yeast: take 100gm of DME, boil it in 1 litre of water, let it cool, pour into a 4L bottle. Then rehydrate your yeast; after it has rehydrated for 30 minutes, pour into the 4L bottle. Then shake the bejebus out of it for one minute, then leave it sit at room temp for 12-18 hours before pitching.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 3