Coopers Community

Dry hop suggestions for golden ale

Sam Trankle

Hey everyone.

Currently have an Amarillo ale (golden ale) Fresh wort kit in the fermenter. Was thinking of dry hopping on day 4 or 5 but only have centennial, simcoe and riwaka hops on hand.

Not sure if any of these would match the style. Hoping to get some insight and suggestions 

Cheers 

SAM

Depends how close to style you want to be.  Brit Golden ales, while usually considered hop-forward don't often feature dry-hops and the hop presence is quite often of English origin, though not always.   I brew these a lot but put my own NZ spin on them.... typically with a generous dose of local hops but no dry-hop.   When brewing golden ales specifically  I do tend to stay with a single hop.  It's proven to be a good platform to get to know individual hop characteristics as I've steadily worked my way through quite a good selection over the last couple of years.. 

I've just brewed an NZPA which actually also specs out as a Golden Ale.  The two styles , like many, are open to interpretation and subsequently do often tend to overlap.   Riwaka, a much sought after hop and one of my favourites was the main hop I used this time - 50g steep and 50g dry hop. There was also 25g Taiheke at 5 min in the mix too.   

😎 

Simcoe and Amarillo are a staple hop combo in my brewery, and pretty much anything with centennial is awesome. Like Titan said, you cannot go wrong with a centennial and simcoe mix but even subbing one for riwaka would be awesome, or just one hop like Blacksands suggested would be beneficial and help the beer. I would dry hop the fwk for sure. Picking which hop or combo is the issue, but a good one, you have 3 hops that will add value to the beer  separately or together so it is a good problem with no wrong answers.

Time to experiment I say. Good luck

Archived