Coopers Community

New Inkbird 308

Beer Baron

• 2 weeks later...

This unit is great for staging down cold crash, or as I am doing now, staging down initial Lager ferment temperature from 15c to 10c.

I can see the temp of the wort, the downward trend on the run chart, and whether the fridge is running or not, all on my phone.

Helps to protect the fridge from constant running.  I can make the adjustments from anywhere via WIFI.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

On 4/3/2019 at 11:51 PM, Beer Baron said:

I was just reading about a new Inkbird 308 temperature controller. 

The new model has wifi!!! 

So many times I forget to raise or lower my temperatures because of work. Now I’ll be able to. 

It’s going on my list!!!

I bought one of these off eBay.  Got a good deal ($55) on it through a Homebrew channel I follow on Youtube. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's the compressor constantly running that needs avoiding, not the entire fridge. 

Temperature controllers won't override the pre programmed on/off cycle of the compressor, so there isn't really any risk of it happening anyway.

Yeah, I mean compressor. I get concerned about my fridges because they work hard out in the shed. During last summer, when it was 47c in the shed I had to run fans into compressor areas because they were getting so hot. The internal on/off was not protecting enough, so I set ETC delays to 30m also.

The new WIFI Inkbird just gives me more control to rest the fridge and I don't need to be there, and I can see the temperature trend at the same time.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

I have just bought one of these Inkbird ITC-308 WiFi, couldn't resist it.. 

Plugged it in, downloaded the app, everything worked a treat, both on WiFi and cellular. 

The temp charting is a great feature, as is the ability to easily change all the parameters in app rather than the more confusing buttons on the actual unit. Plus you can change all of those remotely.  I can see myself running a 'while at work' mash very soon from my phone, and having it at mashout just as I come home from work. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Maybe you need another to turn the fans on when the compressor temp gets too high!

Already ahead of you bro. 👍I've also got one on the toaster to ensure my breakie doesn't burn, and I do this wifi, from my recliner chair, while wearing my smoking jacket, with a cheroot in my gob.

Sheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, headmaster said:

forgot to mention what I paid for it and from whom, bought from Inkbird ebay shop, $59.95AUD delivered supposedly on special, usually $69.95 delivered. 

They have a NSW AU presence so only took a few days to arrive. 

It seems there was a 3-day promotion available through various avenues  -  I got a discount ($55.99AUD which for me equates to $59.25NZD) courtesy of a Youtube channel that was doing a review of the product.  It arrived 6 days earlier than expected too which was an unexpected bonus.  😎

By the way, too 6 or 7 tries before I could get mine to connect to WiFi  🤨

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

Oh... and forgot to mention, mine reads 0.7ºC lower than the digital thermometers I use for mashing etc.  There's no way I can be sure which one is correct however.  I have checked my thermometer in ice-water and boiling water in the past and know it is correct at 0º and 100º but that doesn't say anything about it's linearity of course.   

The Inkbird can be calibrated but you'd need to be 100% sure of your reference first!  

I almost wrote something about calibrating new additions to the brewhouse like this blacksands, definitely with any new thermometer used for mashing, ideally a calibration needs to be done  or at least a comparison with what you were using to be done. I tend to take one of my digital probe thermos that I trust and put it into a thermowell with the new probe and let it settle for quite a while, to compare, at around the same temperature you need the accuracy for. So in the 40° to 70°c range if using it for step mashing. Probably matters less for fermentation fridge conrtol. 

Edited by headmaster
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BlackSands said:

....By the way, too 6 or 7 tries before I could get mine to connect to WiFi  🤨

I had the same problem. They need to be  close to the modem. My unit is 40' away in a steel garage/shed, so it drops out when the shed is completely closed up.

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Worthog said:

I had the same problem. They need to be  close to the modem. My unit is 40' away in a steel garage/shed, so it drops out when the shed is completely closed up.

Yeah...as I discovered!  The room I was initially trying to set it up in has a reasonably good WiFi signal strength but it does seem that the Inkbird needs close proximity to the router during set up.  Don't understand why that would be?   Anyway... it's running fine out in the shed/garage now.

I've just been calibrating it actually.  I now have two other digital thermometers to check it against.  I found the temperature it was measuring strapped to the side of the FV (insulated) was reading 1.5º colder than the actual wort temperature itself.   I've entered in a suitable calibration offset into the controller so it now matches the wort/beer temp.    😎

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1