Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MitchellScott

150 Lashes Extract Recipe

Recommended Posts

Hi all.

My Dad loves 150 Lashes and I don't mind it myself so would like to make a brew for us to enjoy.

I would need it Extract as I have not got to the AG side of things yet 😋.

I know there are a few threads about this topic on here but after searching no one has seemed to really nail it with extracts. I have seen a few recipes that look quite nice though.

I know I'll be using Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and Willamette Hops but am looking to your recomendations as to boil times/hop amounts and what tins/wheat malt/amounts etc I should use.

Thanks in advance for your help!

 

Mitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

150 Lashes has a pretty low IBU for an APA (18.5), so you need a base kit with a low IBU to start with..

Have done this one before, it's reasonably close:

1x Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

1x Coopers Wheat Malt extract 1.5kg

250g Light Crystal (steeped)

15g Amarillo (steeped)

15g Nelson (steeped)

15g Galaxy (dry hop)

15g Williamette (dry hop)

US05 yeast

23L

 

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, waigouren said:

150 Lashes has a pretty low IBU for an APA (18.5), so you need a base kit with a low IBU to start with..

Have done this one before, it's reasonably close:

1x Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

1x Coopers Wheat Malt extract 1.5kg

250g Light Crystal (steeped)

15g Amarillo (steeped)

15g Nelson (steeped)

15g Galaxy (dry hop)

15g Williamette (dry hop)

US05 yeast

23L

 

Cheers

Awesome thanks man, looks really nice. 

What were your boil times for the hops? 

 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries. You don't want to boil them, it will be too bitter. 

You just want to steep them (or as some say, make a "hop tea") in a couple of cups of water that has been boiled (not boiling) and let them steep for 10mins.

The resulting liquid goes into the fermenter with the rest of the ingredients. Have a google for "how to steep hops" if this doesn't make sense 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh yep no worries I know how to do that just wasn't sure if you meant boil then steep. 

Thanks for posting the recipe man appreciate it 🙂

 

Anyone else have any recipes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Ahh yep no worries I know how to do that just wasn't sure if you meant boil then steep. 

Thanks for posting the recipe man appreciate it 🙂

 

Anyone else have any recipes? 

Another option could be to not use a kit, but just LME/DME. This will open more options for hop boils to nail the IBUs. @waigouren's recipe looks pretty tasty otherwise!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Smash said:

Another option could be to not use a kit, but just LME/DME. This will open more options for hop boils to nail the IBUs. @waigouren's recipe looks pretty tasty otherwise!

This is what I was thinking of doing - I did the same thing with my S&W Pacific Ale clone.

Just not sure on the LME/WME ratio. If I put 1.5kg of Liquid Malt and Liquid Wheat Malt into IanH speadsheet it gives me OG of 1.040 and bottled ABV of 4.4% which is pretty spot on, but I have a feeling this is too much WME.

What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

This is what I was thinking of doing - I did the same thing with my S&W Pacific Ale clone.

Just not sure on the LME/WME ratio. If I put 1.5kg of Liquid Malt and Liquid Wheat Malt into IanH speadsheet it gives me OG of 1.040 and bottled ABV of 4.4% which is pretty spot on, but I have a feeling this is too much WME.

What are your thoughts?

I put 500gm into an XPA recently and couldn't notice it too much. Was my first time using it though, so I need more practice & experience. Lots of beers like these have a high percentage of Wheat malt. As with anything, practice makes perfect! I haven't had a 150 lashes in a while..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I'm looking at, at the moment. The D hops are dry hops.

Not really sure on the hop schedule/amount though.

image.png.854b14e985e922b380be7f166613a779.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheat malt extract isn't 100% wheat anyway. I think I read somewhere that it's half wheat and half barley but I'm not totally sure about that. Definitely not all wheat in any case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Wheat malt extract isn't 100% wheat anyway. I think I read somewhere that it's half wheat and half barley but I'm not totally sure about that. Definitely not all wheat in any case.

Makes me feel a bit better then :).

Might give that recipe posted above a go and see how she goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×