Coopers Community

150 Lashes Extract Recipe

Hi all.

My Dad loves 150 Lashes and I don't mind it myself so would like to make a brew for us to enjoy.

I would need it Extract as I have not got to the AG side of things yet 😋.

I know there are a few threads about this topic on here but after searching no one has seemed to really nail it with extracts. I have seen a few recipes that look quite nice though.

I know I'll be using Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and Willamette Hops but am looking to your recomendations as to boil times/hop amounts and what tins/wheat malt/amounts etc I should use.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mitch.

150 Lashes has a pretty low IBU for an APA (18.5), so you need a base kit with a low IBU to start with..

Have done this one before, it's reasonably close:

1x Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

1x Coopers Wheat Malt extract 1.5kg

250g Light Crystal (steeped)

15g Amarillo (steeped)

15g Nelson (steeped)

15g Galaxy (dry hop)

15g Williamette (dry hop)

US05 yeast

23L

Cheers

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, waigouren said:

150 Lashes has a pretty low IBU for an APA (18.5), so you need a base kit with a low IBU to start with..

Have done this one before, it's reasonably close:

1x Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg

1x Coopers Wheat Malt extract 1.5kg

250g Light Crystal (steeped)

15g Amarillo (steeped)

15g Nelson (steeped)

15g Galaxy (dry hop)

15g Williamette (dry hop)

US05 yeast

23L

Cheers

Awesome thanks man, looks really nice. 

What were your boil times for the hops? 

Cheers. 

No worries. You don't want to boil them, it will be too bitter. 

You just want to steep them (or as some say, make a "hop tea") in a couple of cups of water that has been boiled (not boiling) and let them steep for 10mins.

The resulting liquid goes into the fermenter with the rest of the ingredients. Have a google for "how to steep hops" if this doesn't make sense 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Ahh yep no worries I know how to do that just wasn't sure if you meant boil then steep. 

Thanks for posting the recipe man appreciate it 🙂

Anyone else have any recipes? 

Another option could be to not use a kit, but just LME/DME. This will open more options for hop boils to nail the IBUs. @waigouren's recipe looks pretty tasty otherwise!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Smash said:

Another option could be to not use a kit, but just LME/DME. This will open more options for hop boils to nail the IBUs. @waigouren's recipe looks pretty tasty otherwise!

This is what I was thinking of doing - I did the same thing with my S&W Pacific Ale clone.

Just not sure on the LME/WME ratio. If I put 1.5kg of Liquid Malt and Liquid Wheat Malt into IanH speadsheet it gives me OG of 1.040 and bottled ABV of 4.4% which is pretty spot on, but I have a feeling this is too much WME.

What are your thoughts?

39 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

This is what I was thinking of doing - I did the same thing with my S&W Pacific Ale clone.

Just not sure on the LME/WME ratio. If I put 1.5kg of Liquid Malt and Liquid Wheat Malt into IanH speadsheet it gives me OG of 1.040 and bottled ABV of 4.4% which is pretty spot on, but I have a feeling this is too much WME.

What are your thoughts?

I put 500gm into an XPA recently and couldn't notice it too much. Was my first time using it though, so I need more practice & experience. Lots of beers like these have a high percentage of Wheat malt. As with anything, practice makes perfect! I haven't had a 150 lashes in a while..

59 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Wheat malt extract isn't 100% wheat anyway. I think I read somewhere that it's half wheat and half barley but I'm not totally sure about that. Definitely not all wheat in any case.

Makes me feel a bit better then :).

Might give that recipe posted above a go and see how she goes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, Hodgo said:

Hey mate how did you go with this ?? I know it's an old thread but 150 lashes is one of my favourite commercials so I'm searching the holy grail 150 lashes extract recipe as well

To be honest mate I cannot remember hahahaha.

I remember one of my 150 Lashes clones being much hoppier than the original, not that that was a bad thing. That may or may not have been this recipe that I posted above, although looking at it now there isn't a huge amount of hops there (compared to what I use now anyway...)

Give it a crack for sure, it definitely wasn't a bad beer, otherwise I would have certainly remembered it 😂

Mitch.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:29 PM, MitchellScott said:

To be honest mate I cannot remember hahahaha.

I remember one of my 150 Lashes clones being much hoppier than the original, not that that was a bad thing. That may or may not have been this recipe that I posted above, although looking at it now there isn't a huge amount of hops there (compared to what I use now anyway...)

Give it a crack for sure, it definitely wasn't a bad beer, otherwise I would have certainly remembered it 😂

Mitch.

All good I had a crack at it anyway besides not having crystal and putting a bootlegger tin in it instead of the cerveza, smelled awesome, just threw the willamette and galaxy in bareback today.

• Like 1