Coopers Community

Sodium Percarbonate

Hi all.

Got my batch of Sodium Perc from Ebay a few weeks back and thought I would share as it is pretty good value.

I got the 5kg for $35 however the same seller sells it in multiple (smaller) sizes if you don't need so much.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oxygen-Bleach-5kg-100-PURE-Sodium-Percarbonate-EcoFriendly-Oxy-MCN-or-Beer-Keg/222161948614?hash=item33b9e24fc6&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVzCBNwIGTreTzeUl4Yd%2Brb0kbjON%2Bw3kjJhxNbU%2FQvTsKr55e8dAhcVPrRGBYz2FdLng8IYQavrtyyJqZlWkPNa4Njc%2FP4bKJJ0k5P9p8ukPV9T8G21BzSRGx5M0YCIsge3%2FPrG%2F9ECWfaX2Kv2B1KC3v7TZpLMl63ezRJcZ1JJ8G4CZ4DfbEbPXFe5zNkQBuVE7HmRpASKjlYy8tEbVSdlS4lvqBYGdZ%2BrIHJMLoc%2BbApRUjNirDgqtA5gw%2BZbl0zxxyUR%2FgVP262QKVlqaHdJ673f8yr4zhqbEwccJEkFW4raBVbhqxav7rxxvcqRwS%2FLZNrMBiFNSeSXwh60RwFmMX%2FMqZLQsQOBRfiTiFgQPburfUk78555XemJojIZ76pL06n0dmAmSXLir%2FcBI1PSVKYcKd9xGI55lDL9fKsGSSovmCytesIAYcQ8gRahPFGXm%2BJC%2BzaAzG6lSsnEcD4is798%2FBtn6HV6%2BxqrxhitQChrlOnsZZc5zrYwp9qRqQzZVQy3YwparZHS7JEQ5e0apBJ8iAjPjqSXmYFNNbbsiESUW5Z7IKcXopu%2FIIMWoxtCeJUDMtOL4Z%2F2G3J11e5PUHeAJIJMgOC5%2BGGfqEbvo8opFIwOMfG%2BeJq9kwe1x4H75Pfn2%2FxjESh0fr%2FEr4c%2BnfgPlO22palvq8C59HSIWecUGGHB8HiNDkWvH8Ge2IZharDpCPxwFudQQDvhlAcg326%2FRASlnNTEZaaubV%2FKQ1Uuv4OLAGteBx54vfFfXKCB6AKMrJJKVUw0xAWjiHUVyWfnErY05kytGQfJBi4weJ9jt3ewUmM1SY5xgMOARJzp7BKgPhwLcpVIpD2frexMow2rp14Zfo1WTHMpmV7YSJjGMSZkVBxeBEiNNqbvlaOxRQxjQoSw%2FBgrcTFtr1yyqhKpGAt3c9%2FIxF5TNB5K5aVQsIw1FeTHaQyMg1RCHZ&checksum=22216194861458e9920c288044d98bcf2183b7f808ee&frcectupt=true

Cheers :).

• Like 1

I'd check the ingredients. I bought some stuff called oxygen bleach years ago advertised as pure sodium percarbonate. A quick read of the label revealed it to be only 35% sodium percarbonate, 33% alkaline salts and who knows what the rest was made up of. Hopefully yours is as advertised.

For anyone in Brisbane, Craftbrewer sells the pure stuff (or as pure as you can get at 88%), 5kg for $20 and a 25kg sack I bought recently for $60, used to be $78. I don't know if the $60 is the new standard price or a sale price though. 

13 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd check the ingredients. I bought some stuff called oxygen bleach years ago advertised as pure sodium percarbonate. A quick read of the label revealed it to be only 35% sodium percarbonate, 33% alkaline salts and who knows what the rest was made up of. Hopefully yours is as advertised.

For anyone in Brisbane, Craftbrewer sells the pure stuff (or as pure as you can get at 88%), 5kg for $20 and a 25kg sack I bought recently for $60, used to be $78. I don't know if the $60 is the new standard price or a sale price though. 

I've always been a sodium perc purist but recently gone to the dark (and cheap side) and went aldi napi san

When you guys get rid of sodium percabonate solution, do you just chuck down the drain? Spread on the garden? Or should it be flushed down the toilet? I’m not sure how hazardous this stuff is post cleaning. 

It's harmless post cleaning. It breaks down to sodium carbonate and oxygen, and water of course. Down the drain is fine, but don't put it on your garden. Did that once on the lawn and it went yellow in that area. Sometimes I tip it on the concrete patio. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's harmless post cleaning. It breaks down to sodium carbonate and oxygen, and water of course. Down the drain is fine, but don't put it on your garden. Did that once on the lawn and it went yellow in that area. Sometimes I tip it on the concrete patio. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Boiling citric acid will clean that stuff off as well. But from the looks of it you did get the 'pure' percarbonate rather than the 35% stuff I got off eBay. It is good shit though, I use it around the house, it's quite effective at removing baked on food from crockery and whatever as well. I've also used it to remove stains from tea cups.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My LHBS has 25kg bags of sodium percarbonate going for $65 for the next 2 weeks (a FB special for customers) , picked up a bag today . 

Bayswater WA. 

Should take me a while to get through that (if ever) but will be cheaper in the long run than buying 1kg batches 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gus96 said:

My LHBS has 25kg bags of sodium percarbonate going for $65 for the next 2 weeks (a FB special for customers) , picked up a bag today . 

Bayswater WA. 

Should take me a while to get through that (if ever) but will be cheaper in the long run than buying 1kg batches 

Handy to know. If I get up there I’ll get one myself.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You'll get through it. I'm on my third or fourth 25kg sack of the stuff. But I use it for things other than brewing equipment as well. 

I know you go through a fair bit trying to get the dirt out of your Queensland Rugby League jersey.

It’s no use mate, the dirt is just a natural by-product and it will always remain dirty.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You'll get through it. I'm on my third or fourth 25kg sack of the stuff. But I use it for things other than brewing equipment as well. 

I hear it's great for removing excess fish guts too. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Did that once on the lawn and it went yellow in that area. Sometimes I tip it on the concrete patio. 

After repeated attempts I can now confidently say it doesn't have the same effect on weeds unfortunately! 🤨  

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

After repeated attempts I can now confidently say it doesn't have the same effect on weeds unfortunately! 🤨  

That'd be right 😂. I'll keep that in mind although I generally just tip it down the drain. Much easier than lifting a full fermenter out of a laundry tub to simply open its tap and let it run out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

But I use it for things other than brewing equipment as well. 

My undercover area out the back is tiled so I sprinkle some sodium percarbonate on the tiles with some warm water and give a scrub and leave it for 10 minutes. 

I get the pressure cleaner out and give it a quick blast and they come up looking like new. 

It has never killed my grass but I use a fair bit of water to wash it off the tiles so it would dilute it. 

BB

• Like 1

Probably but it doesn't kill bugs like peroxide does. Then again if you're sanitising with starsan or something, it probably doesn't matter much.

It's just washing soda, and what makes up the majority of nappy soaker powders. They're usually 30% or so percarbonate and the rest sodium carbonate with a few other things in small amounts.

• Thanks 1