Coopers Community

Not sure if my beer is ok?

AJS83

Karlos is right, never throw it out without giving it a chance, short of it getting all furry on you, but it looks like its meant to. You can get 2 days of consecutive hydro readings, but then you can still leave it another 3 or 4 days and it will clear up nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Or need to degas the sample by lifting your hydrometer up and down in the sample a few times.  Bubbles have probably formed on the bottom of the bulb and caused it to float higher.

20 points higher? I think not 🤣 when this happens in my samples it goes up by a few points at the most.

It looks like it's sitting about 1.012-13 in that latest picture. Take another sample on Saturday and see where it's at. 

As for the ABV calculation, multiplying by 131 only works if you use decimal SG readings. If you just use the last two digits of the readings like I do (e.g. 45 - 12 = 33), then multiply it by 0.131. I use the decimal figure when writing it in recipes or whatever but for the ABV calculation itself I just use the last two digits. The "10" preceding them is meaningless in this instance, because it still comes to 33.

33 X 0.131 = 4.3. Add 0.4 for the bottle carbonation and it's 4.7% final ABV. 

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, 

I bottled my beer ( PET bottles) on Saturday and it seems to be clearing nicely. I am storing it in the basement which is a pretty static 18c at present. How long ideally should I leave it before trying? I was hoping it would be good by Easter. Appreciate any advice. 

2 minutes ago, AJS83 said:

Hi guys, 

I bottled my beer ( PET bottles) on Saturday and it seems to be clearing nicely. I am storing it in the basement which is a pretty static 18c at present. How long ideally should I leave it before trying? I was hoping it would be good by Easter. Appreciate any advice. 

Around 2 weeks minimum in my opinion but give a bottle a squeeze after a week and if it is firm then give it a try. It might taste a bit green but still may be drinkable. They may carbonate a bit quicker if you get get them a few degrees warmer. 

Good luck and report back with how it tastes!! 

Beer Baron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AJS83 said:

How long ideally should I leave it before trying? I was hoping it would be good by Easter. Appreciate any advice. 

Beer Baron was on the money 2 weeks is the usual before you can get stuck into it ... it is a good idea, if using tallies, to do 6 stubbies as tasters and have 1 a week until you reckon it is all systems go ...  I know you can't do it on this brew but maybe try it with your next ... 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Beer Baron was on the money 2 weeks is the usual before you can get stuck into it ... it is a good idea, if using tallies, to do 6 stubbies as tasters and have 1 a week until you reckon it is all systems go ...  I know you can't do it on this brew but maybe try it with your next ... 

Cheer Marty, thats a great ideaa. I hav been collecting glass bottles, just need a bottle capper. I will do a few stubbies on my next run.  Not sure what to brew yet. Appreciate any ideas...?

I bottled my Bewitched brew 2 weeks ago, so am planning on trying that this weekend and giving the lager ago over the Easter weekend.

56 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

This spreadsheet was posted a couple of months in the resources thread....cant remember who posted it but it is wonderful ... 170 odd kit recipes from Coopers ... I have made a few and recommend the Golden Ale ...

1581174469_CoopersRecipesv1.4.xlsx

Thanks. I have had a look on the Coopers site but cannot find the extract for it. Do I have to add other ingredients to a pale ale extract?

20 hours ago, AJS83 said:

Thanks. I have had a look on the Coopers site but cannot find the extract for it. Do I have to add other ingredients to a pale ale extract?

yes the spread sheet is hyperlinked for all the recipes so if you click on the name it will take you to the recipe .... the Golden Ale is not hyperlinked but was .... it is easy just some Amarillo hops in a short boil if I recal then some dry hopping of Amarillo on day 5 .... think that is it   here is the link .. 

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/golden-ale.html

• 4 months later...

Hi all. It has now been 4 months since I bottled the lager. I tried one after a month then 6 weeks after bottling and it had a funny rough aftertaste. It tasted very sweet then vinegary. I thought maybe I had an infection. Tried one the other day and it was very good. Its not outstanding but I am very happy with it for my first attempt. I am now going to make another batch which will be ready for Christmas. Any suggestions? I am a big fan of lagers.

Edited by AJS83
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AJS83 said:

I am now going to make another batch which will be ready for Christmas. Any suggestions? I am a big fan of lagers.

Try the recipe page to find one that you will like. Don’t forget to clean and sanitise all your equipment. Doing that and pitching enough yeast and having temperature control will make a great lager. 

Good luck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJS83 said:

Any suggestions? I am a big fan of lagers.

Hi AJS

It is hard to do lagers properly without temperature control.  Having said that I did the European Lager ages ago, brewed at ambient inside temperatures in April, lagered (stored) in the cupboard for three months after bottling and they tasted real nice.  Not a true lager, but close enough for me.

I suggest you use 1kg Light Dry Malt for best results.

Cheers Shamus

Everyone says that until they brew a properly temp controlled and lagered lager. The difference is chalk and cheese. 

I've brewed a lot of them and three things stand out as requirements for a great beer, aside from the obvious decent recipe. These are pitching a lot of yeast, proper fermentation temperature control, and a decent lagering period (storing the beer cold after fermentation/packaging). If you do those you'll get a great beer, but temperature control is probably the most important of all of them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi AJS

It is hard to do lagers properly without temperature control.  Having said that I did the European Lager ages ago, brewed at ambient inside temperatures in April, lagered (stored) in the cupboard for three months after bottling and they tasted real nice.  Not a true lager, but close enough for me.

Cheers Shamus

Thanks Shamus. I will give the European a go and also add the Light Dry Malt. Temp control is an issue for me as I am in a small apartment. I do have a storage cage in the basement but the temp down there is on average 18c even though its winter in Melbourne. Planning to move next year to a bigger place where I will definitely be investing in a fridge for my HB so I can brew better lagers. For now though will go with your suggestion and give the European Lager ago. Will hopefully be very drinkable by Christmas.

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi AJS

Cheers Shamus

Hi Shamus just another quick question.  On the Coopers site its saying I should brew the European Lager with Brew Enhancer 3 (1kg). Are you saying I should also add 1kg of Light Dry Malt as well? Thanks AJS