Coopers Community

Coopers new beer

supernerdy

Back on topic of this new XPA, wonder what hops they'll be using and what sort of ABV they'll be looking at?

Hopefully something that would allow for a couple with a cheeky countery feed and still be able to drive home afterward 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, karlos_1984 said:

Back on topic of this new XPA, wonder what hops they'll be using...

From sampling the first batch I know where they started hop-wise, but given Coopers were still developing the beer at that point, I can't be certain where it lies right now.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, karlos_1984 said:

...and what sort of ABV they'll be looking at?

I'd expect somewhere higher than the Pale Ale, but lower than the Sparkling Ale. Perhaps somewhere around the 5.0% ABV I would think. 🤔

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Is it nicer than the Balter XPA? I remember buying a sixer of it. After the first can I was thinking this what an expectant father must feel like after seeing the glowing red locks on his first born. 

I find the Philter XPA to be nicer than the Balter.

The Coopers XPA had a similar body but different hop profile. I don’t know if Lemondrop hops are supposed to taste like lemon but this was lemony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This just dropped into my email:

The newest member of the family has arrived!

Our brand new Extra Pale Ale is all about extra hop flavour, whilst being balanced and easy to drink.

Click below to find your nearest pub serving it now.

FIND OUT MORE  ( https://mail.coopers.com.au/4FT9-YTH-8XN1I-LZFJ-0/c.aspx )

We reckon you’ll love it… and remember if it’s not at your local, chat to the publican… or sell your house! 😉

They say it's tapped in Cairns on "Thursday 9th June", but that day doesn't exist this year. 😉 In any case, I won't be able to try it until after the 12th.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Instigator said:

This just dropped into my email:

They say it's tapped in Cairns on "Thursday 9th June", but that day doesn't exist this year. 😉 In any case, I won't be able to try it until after the 12th.

https://coopers.com.au/our-beer/ales-stout/xpa#Stockists

It's a style I feel will work well up in the northern parts of Australia. I hope Coopers really push it hard up there.

A QLD'er without a XXXX in their hand,... now there's a happy thought! 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

https://coopers.com.au/our-beer/ales-stout/xpa#Stockists

It's a style I feel will work well up in the northern parts of Australia. I hope Coopers really push it hard up there.

A QLD'er without a XXXX in their hand,... now there's a happy thought! 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

When I was a young bloke in the 80's, you walked into a public bar here and you were either in a XXXX pub, or a CUB pub. You basically had a choice of XXXX, or the locally brewed NQ Lager and Cairns Draught depending on where you were. Some of the CUB pubs had cans of Fosters and -maybe- VB. Years passed and through the 90s more Aussie beers became available here, but mostly in the liquor barns. I used to pay about $45-$50 for a carton of Coopers APA back then so that I didn't have to drink XXXX, which was $25-$30. Really, XXXX is about the only beer I would refuse if offered, and I've even toured the factory. 😀

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

A lot of yeast in that pour. 

There's a method to prepping Coopers kegs so that barring the first pour or two, the keg pours a lot cleaner throughout (for the most part) once it's tapped.

Not everyone knows it though. 😯

Cheers,

Lusty.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Not everyone knows it though. 😯

Yeah I've had the occasional pour that was even yeastier than the pic @supernerdy posted from a pub around the corner from work.

Now I'm someone who swears by rolling the Coopers can / bottle before pouring because the extra bite cuts the sweetness a little, but I do return the really yeasty pours to the bar.

Cheers, 

John 

If you invert the Coopers commercial kegs once in cold storage, once they're re-turned upright & tapped the first pours (that are usually heady for almost all beers anyway) take the excessive sediment from the Coopers kegs out with the heady first pours that normally result in a little lost beer anyway.

Win, win. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to try this. On my first attempt a couple of weeks ago, the kegs hadn't been delivered.

Anyway, when I finished my first I told my wife I wasn't sure about it so I better try another for a second opinion. When I thought I needed a third opinion, she reminded me we had a dinner reservation elsewhere... 😲

The lemondrop hops are interesting. It doesn't taste like lemon in the traditional citrusy kind of way. The way I would describe it would be to check your cupboard for some citric acid. Put a couple of grains on your finger and lick them. The flavour is like when the citric acid passes over the back of your tongue, not the front. It works well in beer.

Verdict - I like it. I'll definitely have a crack at brewing the recipe. 👍🍻

It was also nice of Coopers to make the coaster and tap in "Instigator purple". 😋

coopers_xpa.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1