Coopers Community

Muslin or commando ?

bennysbrew

Hi all 

Do people find any difference in muslin bag and commando dry hopping? I used to just throw them in, but last batch I used a bag for first time. Taste test last night was a bit underwhelming .

Having said that I have been buying a lot of hoppy beers recently , so perhaps in comparison mine was a bit weak ..

I did commando then I had such a bad experience with a beer at bottling time that it ended up as lawn food. 

I always dry hop in a bag to keep the hop matter out of my beer. At the same time, it’s a big sack, (pun intended) to keep them as loose as possible. 

Ill be trying the squeeze method again this next brew to see how that goes. 

I've only commandoed my hops once, in my last batch of ipa. I was not overly impressed..

No blockages like the captain had, but tasting some grassy notes I've never experienced to date which I'm not too keen on.

Not sure if it was the hop types i used that dont like the extra time in the f.v. Contact time was 9 days total, 3 at ferment temps and 6 days at cold crash. Hops used were Mosaic, Galaxy and Cascade and only a small amount 50g combined total weight.

Before that I'd only ever used the chux cloth method for containing them and always use the tried and tested ' @Beerlust'  squeeze upon removing and then another dip and squeeze. I use a powder free food handling glove with a spray of sanitiser on it. 🍻

Cheers, Lee

I always used a bag or stocking to dry hop until a couple of years ago. Then I switched to commando with no problems. My current batch was dry hopped with 110g and was fine.

I don’t know if it makes a big difference to the finished beer but it is certainly easier.

I started out bagging the hops then later tried commando and thought it made a notable difference.  However, I do get a bit of floating hop debris finding its way into the bottles which from a purely aesthetic perspective I find a bit off-putting.  I then read the brulosophy article that compared the two methods which concluded there was no difference, so I've since gone back to bagging them up... well, just the once as I'm now actually trying to produce a suitable hoppy PA without relying on dry hops. 

Depends on how long you cold crash (a week works for me), and how you bottle. I have always dry hopped commando style, because I figure they must work better that way, but am about to try bagging for the first time with the batch currently in the FV.  The reason is that I always get hops in my bottling wand. I bulk prime. To do this I first have to rack to a bottling bucket with an auto-siphon. Inevitably this ends up sucking up a certain amount of hops from the bottom of the FV. I am tired of the bottling wand malfunctioning due to hop matter and just want to give the bag thing a try. 

Cheers,

Christina.

I've done both commando and in a bag. 

Regardless of cold crash times when going commando, I could never get all hop matter to settle to the bottom. Still got floaties and stuff stuck in the bottling wand.

To get around this in bottling day, I would boil up and sanitise my grain bag and line it in a second FV. Then use a sanitised food grade hose to transfer from the FV to the second one with the grain bag. This would catch all hop matter and I'd just pull the bag out and then bottle the beer from the second FV with no issues. Could also bulk prime at the same time.

I've only recently gone back to bagging hops with a santised chux cloth, with a couple of dunk n squeezes done prior to bottling and this works really well and is easy to clean up. I'll probably keep doing this as bottling takes less time this way. 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:00 AM, bennysbrew said:

Hi all 

Do people find any difference in muslin bag and commando dry hopping? I used to just throw them in, but last batch I used a bag for first time. Taste test last night was a bit underwhelming .

Having said that I have been buying a lot of hoppy beers recently , so perhaps in comparison mine was a bit weak ..

Do you use pellets or leafy hops?

Hi all, thought I’d add to the conversation.

I have been dry hopping the bejesus out of my brews lately,  with fantastic results.  Some of the best beer around.

I’m using FW kit from all Inn brewing. Probably 2 years now.

I recently informed my wife I had a buyer lined up for all my equipment.

She said ‘kinidiot, so I told the bloke too bad, and got a fresh wort today. That said.....

I use the tea bag method inserting them into the brew via a muslin bag, available at all good Asian supermarkets at about $4 for a pack of 3.

Big suckers too!  Each day I give the bag a jiggle to get all that hoppy goodness into the wort, and leave it in for 3 days. Only because I read somewhere that was the timeline. Happy to be corrected here.

When retrieving the the hops back out, I use a colander or the plastic thingy that ricotta cheese come in, pour a kettle of boiling water through the colander and then squeeze the ball of hops to get the last of the goodness into the wort. Chuck the rements into the worm farm.

Bottle whenever.

Today I thought I could find hops at a better price than the $10/12 for a bottle (from the fridge) at my brew shop.

Glory hallelujah, eBay has a company using them as a store front.  Country Traders Store which sell hops by the kilo, and at around $70

I purchased Falconers Flight hops, which sounds pretty grand.  Has anyone ever used them?

Hoplist.com

(New IPad, lost a large amount of the latter part of this post)

36 minutes ago, tonyj3 said:

She said ‘kinidiot, 

Haha.

I've had some good results with dry hopping those FWK with a large amount too. Always a crowd pleaser when I'm short on brew time.

I can vouch for Brewman if you are after smaller than 1kg. They sell 225g bags for a pretty reasonable price and service has been fantastic.

59 minutes ago, tonyj3 said:

I purchased Falconers Flight hops, which sounds pretty grand.  Has anyone ever used them?

Yep, it is a great hop blend. It was my go to hop for IPAs a number of years ago.

I haven’t used it for a few years though, I really should revisit it.

I think chux may subdue the hop taste, compared to commando, from my experiences of 50 batches, or so, dry hopping.

But commando introduces all kinds of kegging (I'm told) problems, plus we have the yeast harvest issue.

The "Lusty" chux squeeze method, does bring the aroma/flavour equation back to some process balance, but you will need to use a few extra grams of our favourite flower.

Cheers

Archived