Coopers Community

Lamp for temp control

karlos_1984

I've got a beer in the FV at the moment and I'm struggling to keep it at 18 degrees with my inkbird as we've got a bit of a cold snap at the moment. 

I've got an old desk lamp with the twistable neck thing. If I cover the shade with foil to block the light from the 75w bulb and hook it up to the inkbird, will this be a suitable option to warm up inside the fridge? 

I'm just mindful of it becoming a fire hazard.

Ceramic heater lamp for reptiles is what some use. I'm gonna get a 50 W one myself. Going to the pet shop monday after work. 

Something like this ---> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQLSTQW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07HQLSTQW&pd_rd_w=CAoiL&pf_rd_p=80559f3c-f83b-49c1-8a72-40f936e9df7a&pd_rd_wg=v6KD8&pf_rd_r=VXKWH5HNANRXKXRC8GX6&pd_rd_r=8a8682df-532f-11e9-a577-3bbfcd35dc51

Some people use hair dryers. 

from experience the lamp will work great ... 30 yeas ago I made a hot box from ply wood insulated the sides with foam, hung a thermometer and in the lid I put a light bulb  ... it was a tight squeeze but worked treat during the Sunny Coast winters  ... I had a 2 story house that was on a slab and the laundry where I did my brewing was very well insulated  .... no internet or ink birds in those days .... brewed with an open vat covered by a tea towel,at ambient and I knew brewing was over when the wort had visually stopped bubbling .... oh the good old days .... but yes the light will work a treat ... 

I had the same problem with the cold snap over the weekend, and was jumping on here to see what the best options for heating was. So good timing.

The FV dropped to about 15.5 deg for the last couple of days.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, karlos_1984 said:

I've got a beer in the FV at the moment and I'm struggling to keep it at 18 degrees with my inkbird as we've got a bit of a cold snap at the moment. 

I've got an old desk lamp with the twistable neck thing. If I cover the shade with foil to block the light from the 75w bulb and hook it up to the inkbird, will this be a suitable option to warm up inside the fridge? 

I'm just mindful of it becoming a fire hazard.

This is my cheap option for winter

Insulated large rubbish bin from bunnings with Coopers FV and a heat belt, with ETC.

Cheers

I run reptile heat cords, mine are 5 metres long, 25 watt. Used to be able to buy them for $11 delivered from asia, no longer.. I use them for my two brew fridges, plus for broccoli/seafood foam box wintertime bottle carbonation chambers. I like these as the power density is low so it never gets hot enough to do any damage. In a broccoli box you can distribute the 5M evenly around the bottles. You need to have a controller like an inkbird or STC or you will overheat the chamber. 

Power meter said  it only ran 6W average in winter inside the fridge to run 18c inside with ambient say 10c. 

Some for sale here: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Reptile-Heat-Cord-Small-Large-Sizes-Available-1m-3m-6m-9m-10m-14m-18m-/182760016573?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=690078717168&varId=690078717168

I would go the 3m 25W version there. Not cheap any more though.. looks like 30$ delivered. 

You could buy a brewing heat belt for that, but I actually prefer these cords. The heat belts are designed to be wrapped around a fermenter. Not what I want to do. Have heard that you can melt a heat belt if not wrapped around the FV as not heatsunk 

Last winter I  just dangled my 20 year old heat belt in the freezer (plugged into the Inkbird) and it was fine, no sign of melting.

Once up to temp it doesn't take much to keep it there.

Many good suggestions here. LEDs and CFLs don't throw off much heat so you need to look for an incandescent bulb, which are getting hard to find, hence the suggestion for a reptile bulb, but they are expensive. If your FV lets light through it is important that the bulb be red, as regular white bulbs will skunk the beer. In Canada you can still buy 25watt red incandescent "party" bulbs, which is what I used to use to help keep my beer above 18C while it carbonated; I used to live in a cold house (Canada). Note that I bottle in green glass, so that is why I needed to use a red bulb. If you use brown bottles, the colour of the bulb does not matter.

Personally I use a string of 35 red mini-Christmas lights from the Dollar Store in my brew fridge, as they are super cheap, and the cord is very thin. They come in both incandescent and LED versions, so be aware of that if you go that route.

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived