Coopers Community

Cooper Fermenter

Snap

21 minutes ago, Detroit D said:

Hi Aussiekraut

I cant help you there either except that I recently had a brew that had the sour taste, with a Coopers FV. I normally bottle within 7-8 days but I used a different Yeast (Windsor) than the kit yeast and it took 15 days. I don't blame the fermenter, I think I have gotten something wrong with sanitising or the fact it took so long to brew that it got a germ of sort in there, maybe at dry hopping?

so disappointing come bottling day and you have a little taste and all is not good...

I'm don't want to blame the fermenter either. I have two smaller ones of the same type and had no issues with them at all. But it is odd that two consecutive batches in the same FV are showing signs if issues.

I'll leave them in the cupboard for the next few weeks and then I'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Vinegar is usually a sign of acetobacter. 

Flat bottles is probably just a temperature thing. Or a non sealed lid issue. 

Wouldn't I see signs of an infection? Any chance it might improve if there's no oxygen left for the bacteria? Or should I tip it all out?

The flat batch, I'll give more time to carbonate. 

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

There is almost no sediment in the bottles. I always use 1 or 2 white glass bottles, so I can see what's happening and there doesn't seem to be much viable yeast in there, if any.

That suggests much lower yeast than usual - whatever the reason, time should fix that. No idea on the balsamic one...

• Like 2