Coopers Community

1 Kg of Sugar = Liquid Malt?

Sterox

Hi,

i have a question, i  want to realize my second beer kit and i want a coopers kit.

A lot of people on forum tell me that is suggested to switch from sugar to liquid malt to improve my beer.

But how many Kg of Liquid Malt i need to use for switch from 1 Kg of Sugar?

There is an equivalence?

Thanks a lot!

27 minutes ago, Sterox said:

Hi,

i have a question, i  want to realize my second beer kit and i want a coopers kit.

A lot of people on forum tell me that is suggested to switch from sugar to liquid malt to improve my beer.

There is an equivalence?

Thanks a lot!

Hi mate. Welcome to the Forum.

Most people use Malt Extract as it gives a better mouthfeel, body and head retention to the beer. Using sugar only will increase alcohol content but tends to make the beer very "thin".

There is no set amount really. Many people starting out opt for the "Brew Enhancers" that usually contain dextrose, malt extract and maltodextrin. This gives you the benefit of higher alcohol content from the sugars, and better mouthfeel, body and head retention from the malt extracts.

If you still want a higher alcohol content after adding the brew enhancer you can always add some extra dextrose in the bring the ABV up :).

Cheers, Mitch.

1 minute ago, Sterox said:

Thanks very much for your reply!

In conclusion there is not an equivalence 1:1 and i need to... experiment

No problem!

Someone may have a figure that might work but the reality is they are not the same product. Sugar will completely ferment out to become alcohol. Malt extract contains sugars that will ferment out and become alcohol but there will be malt left behind which gives you that mouthfeel/head retention etc. Using sugar only you will find the head retention will suffer and it will be very thin/watery to an extent.

What type of beer are you looking to make? We may be able to help out and recommend some recipes.

Cheers, Mitch.

I want to realize a Mexican Cerveza or a Lager: requirement,a beer that can i drink this summer, freshness and to use with pizza etc...

Some good recipe to obtain some good final results?

P.S: some people tell me that a good solution is to change the yeast included in the kit. True?

If you jump into the recipes section there are some very good recipes that many people use. They will get you very good results if followed.

Aztec Gold has always been an easy to make favourite on here.

That recipe can be found here: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/aztec-gold.html

The other thing to remember is if you are bottling with carb drops or sugar, it will add around 0.4% ABV to the brew (because of secondary fermentation in the bottle).

2 minutes ago, PB2 said:

If you are only looking at alcohol equivalent, 1kg of Light Dry Malt is about the same (ish) as 800g of simple sugar. 🙂

I knew someone would know :). There ya go!

Cheers, Mitch.

Nice recipe!

I like Coopers because it has a very good DIY section... that other producers don't have.

But it's true that Coopers Malt are one of the best around? (i read that it's the same for the yeast)

31 minutes ago, Sterox said:

Nice recipe!

I like Coopers because it has a very good DIY section... that other producers don't have.

But it's true that Coopers Malt are one of the best around? (i read that it's the same for the yeast)

Ah I forgot to answer your yeast question.

The most important thing with brewing is cleanliness and sanitisation. No one likes an infected beer. Then the next best thing you can do is buy an old second hand fridge and a temp controller from ebay and brew using temp control. Ambient air is always changing and yeast will produce off flavours if the brew gets too warm. You will see a big difference in the quality of your brew using a temp controller.

And for the yeast, a good quality yeast to suit your brew will absolutely be better then the can yeast. Store the yeast in the fridge to keep it fresh too :).

1 hour ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Maybe consider The Coopers Fruit salad ale recipe? 

It is an easy recipe and very popular, fresh tasting and it goes great with pizza and bbq. 

That recipe helps you realize how hops and malt work with brewing.

What is the IBU of this beer?

7 hours ago, Sterox said:

Only a question regarding Dry Malt.

If i will use 500 of Coopers Dry Malt or of other producers, there are some differences?

Generally, no. If you have a local home brew shop they usually buy in bulk and bag it and you can get it locally for a decent price. 

7 hours ago, Sterox said:

What is the IBU of this beer?

The Aztec Gold recipe states about 16 IBUs which is not very bitter on the scale. You can check the bitterness of each recipe (it states it in the recipes page).

Happy brewing! 

17 hours ago, Sterox said:

As PB2 mentioned above, 1kg DME is the equivalent to 800g dextrose. So replacing 1kg dextrose will require 1.25kg DME.

The ratio of LME to DME is about 1.25, so to replace the 1.25kg DME would require about 1.56kg of LME. 

So in short replace the 1kg dextrose with 1.5kg liquid malt extract.

Archived