Coopers Community

Battleship Bitter: Quick Question for those who may have done this

Marty_G

6 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks I will do ....  is that what you use for your British Bitter? ...  

I've used M42, Nottingham, S04 and M36 in both bitters and British Golden ales.  Recent bitters were actually fermented with Notty.   I have M42 currently fermenting an NZPA, and I've also used it previously in a porter.   Nottingham was my "go to" for most ales - both English and US but M42 appears to deliver the same results so I'm using that a bit more now simply because it's a $1.20 cheaper!  😄      I like the higher attenuation and the slightly drier result delivered by both these yeasts. 

M36 has displaced my past use of S04 and is still an option I consider for English styles.   

I have used the M36 Liberty bell for a Golden Ale which is just wonderful .... i have a culture of it sitting in my fridge just waiting to be unleashed on another Ale ...  anyway this US05 will also go into my yeast bank when it is done .... I plan on doing a stout next so will get the M42 and give it a whirl ...  the use of the differnt yeast is partly to devlop my yeast bank which currently stands at 2 ..... W34/70 and the M36 ....  

17 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Gday Marty

Did you end up cold crashing your first batch, and for how long?

sure did bottled on 5th day of the crash ... so crashed on Thursday afternoon bottled on Monday midday  ...  

1 minute ago, grogdog said:

Cool. I ask because sometimes adding another yeast pack as a backup like you did has given me a yeasty beer. 

Didn't think mine was  a yeasty beer when I did my taste test on Sunday  ...  the yeast had no sugar to feed off so did not really multiply it just sat on top and formed the Pellicile so when I bottle it I left about 2 litres more than usual in the FV to avoid the yeast ... also any yeast that did find its way into suspension would have settled out as I also added finings before the cold crash ...  I also did not harvest that yeast cake turfed the lot as I wasn't happy with the yeasts performance but must admit from the taste test i did on Sunday left some great esters in the brew ... 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m gonna throw this down on Saturday.  Was thinking of maybe steeping some crystal and chocolate grains as an addition to the recipe. 

Recipe is basic english bitter tin, 1.5 kgs of dme, 25 gms ekg hops 10 mins and 25 gms centennial flame out. Also thinking of dry hopping an additional 25 gms each of each hop as my store only sells 100 gms of each 

Archived