Coopers Community

Battleship Bitter: Quick Question for those who may have done this

Marty_G

Currently have this in the FV ... Been in for full 8 days now at 20 degrees until day 5 then  22 for the next 3 .... just wondering how long did it take to get to FG ... have just bumped it up to 24 degrees but still have about 8 points to go before it gets to recommend FG of 1012-1008 ...  used M15 Empire Ale yeast ...  other  than that I followed the recipe ...   

47 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

I just finished this but did it with S04 and it was finished at about day 9. 

Mine did only get to about 1.014 and stopped there, but as long it’s still going down.

No worried just wanted to know as I have a few things to plan and there is a lot of fermentables in it and was wondering how much longer it had ...  so my guess is a few more days to get to 1014 ... 

I did this a while back. I had 1.020 on day 4, day 7 was 1.015 and day 10 was still at 1.015 so I bottled. I used Morgan’s English ale yeast. I’d give it another day or 2 if you can wait.

This was pre temp control for me. Did the ice blocks and wet towel trick. Still put out a good beer.

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

I did this a while back. I had 1.020 on day 4, day 7 was 1.015 and day 10 was still at 1.015 so I bottled

Thanks for the input, it tastes like it has a little way to go. It still has a hint of that concentrated wort flavour ... hopefully bumping up the temp a couple of degrees will give it a bit of a boot along ... would like to start the cold crash in a few days as I don't want it going in to next week  ...  

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks for the input, it tastes like it has a little way to go. It still has a hint of that concentrated wort flavour ... hopefully bumping up the temp a couple of degrees will give it a bit of a boot along ... would like to start the cold crash in a few days as I don't want it going in to next week  ...  

You don't want to rush a good beer Marty! Try not to get any esters with that temp

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smash said:

You don't want to rush a good beer Marty! Try not to get any esters with that temp

think it will be OK it is at 1018 right now and looking for 1012-1008 so only a 6 points to go ...  the range for the M15 is pretty tight at 18-22 but only been at 24 for about 12 hours ... will drop it back to 20 tomorrow then 18 as I start to wind it down for the cold crash ... for an Ale yeast is is going quite slow and I am not really used to that ... Lager Yeast yep but not ales ... 

10 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

think it will be OK it is at 1018 right now and looking for 1012-1008 so only a 6 points to go ...  the range for the M15 is pretty tight at 18-22 but only been at 24 for about 12 hours ... will drop it back to 20 tomorrow then 18 as I start to wind it down for the cold crash ... for an Ale yeast is is going quite slow and I am not really used to that ... Lager Yeast yep but not ales ... 

Yeah shouldn't take too much longer! Wouldn't hurt to keep it in the FV for 12-14 day unless time is an issue. I've got a dark ale on that's still bubbling 8 days after I pitched. have you used the yeast before?

time is not really an issue but would love to bottle it by Sunday as the following week is very busy .. I know that is a long way off but in the scheme of things if it takes till Thursday or Friday to finish the cold crash will be short and don't want to do that so will have to go on into the next week ... Oh well some things will just have to go on the back burners as bottling brews is a priority for me .... oh the pleasure of retired life ...   

I'd leave it up there until the cold crash. Dropping the temp now will just slow it down. The yeast related flavours are produced at the beginning and first few days of the fermentation. You won't get any esters or other shit flavours from it being at 24 degrees now. 

I have a loose rule of thumb that the temperature only goes up from pitching yeast to the cold crash. In other words, if it starts at 18 and is raised to 21/22 after a few days, that's where it stays until the cold crash. It doesn't get dropped back to 18 for a few days or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have a loose rule of thumb that the temperature only goes up from pitching yeast to the cold crash. In other words, if it starts at 18 and is raised to 21/22 after a few days, that's where it stays until the cold crash.

I don't know if this is a characteristic of the yeast but it is going very slow now ...  recommended was Nottingham and the LHBS was out so am using Empire Ale M15 ...  the recipe suggests that the FG range to be 1012-1008 with 1.5kg of fermentables ... starting was 1047 ...  final ABV is suppose to be 5.1% before bottling but is no where near that, it  is closer to 3.6 .... 

It wouldn't get that high before bottling unless it went to the lower end of the FG range. Given the ingredients, this is unlikely. 

I've never used that yeast so I don't know what it's like, but I do know that dropping the temp back to 18 will slow it down even more than it already is. Let it go at 24 until it finishes.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:13 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

.... just wondering how long did it take to get to FG ... have just bumped it up to 24 degrees but still have about 8 points to go before it gets to recommend FG of 1012-1008 ...  used M15 Empire Ale yeast ...  other  than that I followed the recipe ...   

The Coopers DIY recipe recommends using Nottingham yeast with this recipe. Nottingham is a beast that could chew through a brick wall. Your different choice of yeast here will create a very different outcome & expected FG as a consequence.

From reading a couple of recent posts about the M15, it appears somewhat reminiscent of Fermentis' S-04.

Cheers,

Lusty.

27 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The Coopers DIY recipe recommends using Nottingham yeast with this recipe. Nottingham is a beast that could chew through a brick wall. Your different choice of yeast here will create a very different outcome & expected FG as a consequence.

From reading a couple of recent posts about the M15, it appears somewhat reminiscent of Fermentis' S-04.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I might pitch the kit yeast in and see if the finishes it off ...   

Ok so I am calling it finished... I know it is early to call but I  pitched a pack of Coopers Ale yeast into the brew 18 hours ago and no action at all ... I know that it may be premature and will give it another day before I take another step but SG has been stable since Sunday and did not move over night after pitching ... the brew is at  24 degrees and I would have expected some activity if there were any fermentables left ...  so looks like 1018 is it ... recipe expected ABV of 5.6% but at that FG will only be ~4.2% ...  it has me flummoxed .. 

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Ok so I am calling it finished... I know it is early to call but I  pitched a pack of Coopers Ale yeast into the brew 18 hours ago and no action at all ... I know that it may be premature and will give it another day before I take another step but SG has been stable since Sunday and did not move over night after pitching ... the brew is at  24 degrees and I would have expected some activity if there were any fermentables left ...  so looks like 1018 is it ... recipe expected ABV of 5.6% but at that FG will only be ~4.2% ...  it has me flummoxed .. 

Are you bottling in glass or plastic?

Just make sure you monitor it. M15 is a high attenuating yeast and some English style yeasts continue to slowly ferment in the bottle.

Glass, 500ml swing top and some 330ml stubbs .... not bottling until I am 100% sure it is done so will give it another 36 hours minimum and if still nothing will probably start the cold crash on Friday and will also fine it  to get as much yeast to settle out as possible will plan to have in bottles around the  middle of next week now ... so my plan is to give it another 7 days in the FV ...  i have not had a brew behave like this before so this is very new to me and don't plan to rush it  ... I normally have ales  in bottle by day 14 if not earlier but looks like it will be closer to day 17 or 18 ...  great learning experience though... 

• 2 weeks later...

for those who may recall, I had some issues with this mainly to do with my yeast selection when Nottingham was not available at the LHBS ... so the final feedback is the brew is brilliant .... I had a sneeky taste of a stubby today .... been in the bottle 7 days, yes I know I am bloody impatient, and the taste is wonderful light and with lovely fruity overtones ... the yeast I used M15 Empire Ale may not have been the beast needed to get through the 1.5kg  of LDM and give it the 5.6%  the recipe predicted but it did give it a wonderful flavour....also if you recall I had issues with the FG being, as I thought it was way to high at, 1020 so I pitched the kit yeast and ended up with a pellicle layer .... that has had no negative effect on the brew ...  so the upshot is:  the yeast i chose did not have the attenuation to get to the 1008 FG as it pumped out more esters that alcohol hence the higher FG  ...  the FG of 1020 was final as the kit yeast had nothing to ferment so it formed the pellicile which was not an infection ... also the carbonation upon opening was what one would expect from a stubby that was bottles 7 days ago ...  summary great beer and boy did i learn a lot ...  learnings:  do better research when choosing a substitute yeast and if you need to to have similar attenuation to get similar FG readings....now that may all wrong but that is my take on it ...  now to do the same brew with Nottingham to see if I am right ...  and there endith the dissertation  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3

put down a 46 litre batch today using US05 .... the LHBS still has no Nottingham at least the US05 has very similar  manufacturers spec as  Nottingham ... making it for my sons ... hope to have it in tallies by Thursday week before I short off for Easter  .... will be a push but hopefully the  2 X US05 will race through the 3kg of fermentables ...  if not it will sit cold crashing for a week which can olny be good for it  .... so either way it is win win 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

.... the LHBS still has no Nottingham at least the US05 has very similar  manufacturers spec as  Nottingham ...

I suggest you try Mangrove Jacks M42 as a worthy substitute for Nottingham.  Very similar characteristics and some have even suggested that it is in fact the same strain. 

- Short lag times, fast and clean fermentation with high attenuation and flocculation.   😎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I suggest you try Mangrove Jacks M42 as a worthy substitute for Nottingham.  Very similar characteristics and some have even suggested that it is in fact the same strain. 

- Short lag times, fast and clean fermentation with high attenuation and flocculation.   😎

Thanks I will do ....  is that what you use for your British Bitter? ...