Coopers Community

Anyone made Candi sugar from table sugar at home?

Potatoes

Hi all,

Has anyone made Candi sugar from scratch? I’ve been reading these instructions https://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.com/2013/09/making-belgian-candi-sugar.html and it seems a little complicated. I’ve got no lye or lime for raising the ph. Ive got baking Soda bu5 not sure what would do. So has anyone else got a method or technique? 

Thanks in adv, 

Dan 

Hey mate. Yeah make it all the time for my belgian beers. 

I usually make it in 500gm amounts but the recipe is scaleable.

500gm sugar in a pot. Cover it with tap water and turn on the heat. The more water you put the more you must boil off so just enough to cover it. Put a pinch of citric acid in it and attach the candy thermometer to the pot. The mix will hover around 100c till the water boils off then it will rise rapidly. You want to get to hard ball and hold it in the range of hard ball and soft crack for however dark you want the candi sugar. For dark you might have to cook for 2 hours. To do this when it comes up to soft crack put a teaspoon of water in. That will bring it back down to hard ball temp and follow that for however long. After you have your colour you have two choices. Take it up to hard crack and then kill the heat. Pour it into a tray and make hard candi rocks out of it or do what i do which is once i get the colour i kill the heat and pour in 250ml of water to make candi syrup. I put this in a mason jar and let it cool. This keeps it in a nice fluid stage and is a helluva lot easier to work with on brew day.

1553381024288626643758.jpg

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey mate. Yeah make it all the time for my belgian beers. 

I usually make it in 500gm amounts but the recipe is scaleable.

500gm sugar in a pot. Cover it with tap water and turn on the heat. The more water you put the more you must boil off so just enough to cover it. Put a pinch of citric acid in it and attach the candy thermometer to the pot. The mix will hover around 100c till the water boils off then it will rise rapidly. You want to get to hard ball and hold it in the range of hard ball and soft crack for however dark you want the candi sugar. For dark you might have to cook for 2 hours. To do this when it comes up to soft crack put a teaspoon of water in. That will bring it back down to hard ball temp and follow that for however long. After you have your colour you have two choices. Take it up to hard crack and then kill the heat. Pour it into a tray and make hard candi rocks out of it or do what i do which is once i get the colour i kill the heat and pour in 250ml of water to make candi syrup. I put this in a mason jar and let it cool. This keeps it in a nice fluid stage and is a helluva lot easier to work with on brew day.

1553381024288626643758.jpg

Cheers Greeny, so do you both with adding anything for Maillard reactions? 

I dont add anything other than the acid. But you NEED the acid. Forgot it once and it started to boil right up. Realised too late that i forgot it. Started again. Just read that article. I might give it a go when i get some time but i must say im making some awesome belgians with this method.

All i can say is give it a go. I also do it with brown sugar and dark sugar. Dark sugar is more problematic as it boils up more but it produces a great beer when used in a strong dark.

22 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I dont add anything other than the acid. But you NEED the acid. Forgot it once and it started to boil right up. Realised too late that i forgot it. Started again. Just read that article. I might give it a go when i get some time but i must say im making some awesome belgians with this method.

All i can say is give it a go. I also do it with brown sugar and dark sugar. Dark sugar is more problematic as it boils up more but it produces a great beer when used in a strong dark.

Cheers, I’ll try it tonight. Let us know how you get on with the recipe in the article. 

Archived