Coopers Community

Re-using/Cleaning Hop Socks

MitchellScott

Hi all. 

I have just pulled and washed my hop sock from my brew after bottling. 

Just curious as to whether you guys clean and reuse these for the next brew? 

I am soaking my FV and utensils in a sodium perc solution so can also add the sock into the solution if that will work. 

In saying that, how much 100% sodium perc do you guys add to the FV when it is full of water to clean? 

Cheers, Mitch. 

I do this for grain bags as well, but I scoop out as much hop matter as possible, then rinse it as best I can, but there's still hop matter in there. I hang it on the clothesline to dry, then any hop matter left behind gets shaken off more easily. I rinse it again thoroughly and let it dry and put away. Before using it again I boil it for 15 minutes then dunk in starsan before adding hops and chucking in the FV. Had worked well so far.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, I have hung it inside out on the clothesline n sprayed it with the hose and that gets a lot of hop matter off and it just runs off into the grass. Rinsing in the sink is pointless as the dregs just keep sticking to the bag. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

It's sodium perc' , as others have said. 

I'm a big fan of bleach n vinegar to "shock and awe" sterilise,  but it's really hard to get all the smell out of a hops sock . Also I do my stainless steel weights ( cutlery) foe the hopsock in the same bucket of sodium perc.

26 minutes ago, BreweyMcHops said:

It's sodium perc' , as others have said. 

I'm a big fan of bleach n vinegar to "shock and awe" sterilise,  but it's really hard to get all the smell out of a hops sock . Also I do my stainless steel weights ( cutlery) foe the hopsock in the same bucket of sodium perc.

I only use Sodium Percarbonate for the job, I also have StellaOxy & StellarClean for other cleaning jobs, they leave no smell.

Vinegar is in the pantry & bleach is in the laundry & that's where they stay. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h2-1h2pemQY?rel=0?widget_referrer=0&playsinline=1&loop=1&enablejsapi=1&rel=0&autoplay=1

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

I rinse and wipe my fermenter immediately after use with a brand new chux and soak in sodium perc! My hop sock I empty the hops and rinse it out and boil it for 15minutes and then star Stan after I close it!

• Like 3

What I do;

First: Rinse it all out with cold water

Next: Throw it in the washing machine with all my other laundry

Then: Before using I boil it in a pot on the stove for up to 10 mins to sterilize. Works for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 7:16 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I only use Sodium Percarbonate for the job, I also have StellaOxy & StellarClean for other cleaning jobs, they leave no smell.

Vinegar is in the pantry & bleach is in the laundry & that's where they stay. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h2-1h2pemQY?rel=0?widget_referrer=0&playsinline=1&loop=1&enablejsapi=1&rel=0&autoplay=1

As I said I use sodium perc for hops socks.  

To not understand the use of bleach and vinegar however, is to miss an important part of sanitization.  In the words of Charlie Talley the chemist who created StarSan ( may have heard of it) " bleach is the grandfather of all sterilizers , it is the benchmark against which all others are measured" and he writes about how and why it is so effective because of the additional action of the vinegar dropping the ph. 

Shock and awe your fermenting gear! ( just not your hops socks)

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:36 AM, BreweyMcHops said:

As I said I use sodium perc for hops socks.  

To not understand the use of bleach and vinegar however, is to miss an important part of sanitization.  In the words of Charlie Talley the chemist who created StarSan ( may have heard of it) " bleach is the grandfather of all sterilizers , it is the benchmark against which all others are measured" and he writes about how and why it is so effective because of the additional action of the vinegar dropping the ph. 

Shock and awe your fermenting gear! ( just not your hops socks)

I agree 

Vinegar diluted is also good for any stubborn stains on stainless steel as for an example a brewzilla but now all I use is sodium percarbonate and barkeepers friend and stellasan no need for anything else

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2