Coopers Community

is this mold?

EWildcat7

I made this beer (Island Toasted Coconut Porter) 5 days ago and put in the bag with toasted coconut 2 days ago.  Today, I wanted to get a look and I saw what you see in the photo.  I know the photo is dark and may be hard to see, but it really looks like mold floating on the top.  Anybody have experience with this?  Is the beer ruined?

Also, what is that circle in the beer in the upper right corner of the photo?

IMG_3691.JPG

update: I got a closer look with a flashlight and I might have overreacted.  It looks like it could just be bubbles.  What are the tan spots on the surface?

And the mystery of the circle is solved, although it could be a problem.  I used a set of tongs that I sanitized 2 days ago to fish it out.  it looks like it is a plastic ring that must have come off the water jug as I was pouring it in.  obviously this would not have been sanitized, so should I be concerned that it was sitting in the beer for 5 days?

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

Yo E! Hahah what's up man. Have you tasted it? I know sounds weird but...

Was the muslin bag sanitised? If so I would be hesitant to dump a batch unless I knew it was infected. I would monitor it and see if it tastes off at anytime and if anything grows. If not bottle as normal and see. I would be planning another brew just in case it is infected and have it ready to go into the fermenter right after this one, as a fail safe, but I would be nuking everything before hand.

Norris

I did sanitize the muslin bag.  I soaked it in stellarsan before putting the toasted coconut in it.  I also talked to a few brewers over the weekend (Canberra Craft Beer and Cider Festival was in town) and they told me that the risk of infection from the muslin bag was slim anyway because the brew will have already formed some alcohol.  So my real concern is that plastic ring that was there from the beginning....

Well you can dump it and start over or let it ride. It looks like a beer fermenting to me. The plastic ring might not have been sanitised but I think it should be good or those water bottles would be getting people sick pretty often.

+1 to keep it. I remember this brew having some weird floaties/bubble formations (not that I dumped rubber ring in it). It looks just like mine did. I reckon you're golden. I cracked one of these I bottled in September this week. Soooo good.

uh huh yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Archived