Coopers Community

First IPA Attempt

Kenks

Hi, 

Open to comments or suggestion for this one. 

Coopers IPA kit
Crystal 300g steeped for 30 minutes
Citra 5g @ 60 minutes
Galaxy 5g @ 60 minutes

Citra 30g @ 60 minutes
Galaxy 30g @ 60 minutes

LDME 1KG
Maltodextrin 500g
Dextrose 450g
US05

Predicted OG 1.056   IBU 52.0
  FG 1.018   EBC 17.3
        Bottle 5.4%

4 minutes ago, Smash said:

With your recipe,  30g of citra & galaxy @ 60 minutes gets 132 IBU's. Without these additions, I get your calculations, should these be dry hopped?

Copy paste error ;( 

Second set was Dry Hop:

Citra 5g @ 60 minutes
Galaxy 5g @ 60 minutes

Citra 30g - DRY HOP
Galaxy 30g - DRY HOP

1 hour ago, Kenks said:

ok thanks, is that enough hops quantity wise for boil and dry hop?

I was thinking some Mosaic maybe too?

Question how many brews have you done ? Looks like only 5 posts but some people bide without ever using the forum

Ok cool.. ive only been doing it for 6 months.

Best advise is to follow known recipes.. ive gone my own way with a few brews now and havent been thrilled. Will be following recipes so I dont over complicate things like I have previously.

Yeah for sure, will do that one but tried to piece this one together from a few different IPA ones I've found with Hops I know (or have had in beers)

Revised Recipe:

Coopers IPA kit
Citra 5g @ 60 minutes
Galaxy 5g @ 60 minutes

Citra 30g @ DRY HOP
Galaxy 30g @ DRY HOP

LDME 1.5 KG
Dextrose 500g
US05

Predicted OG 1.057   IBU 52.0
  FG 1.012   EBC 18.0
%alc   Keg 5.9   Bottle 6.3

I would skip the 60 minute additions.

After steeping the grain, bring the liquid to boil, turn off the heat and add the 5g Galaxy and Citra.

Let it sit for 20 minutes and then strain it into the fermenter.

Lowers the FG as you've posted in the updated recipe there. 1.018 would be too thick and heavy unless it was a really big IPA, but for the standard ones around 1.012-14 is a good FG I find. 

You'd be advised to pitch more than the kit yeast at it too, maybe grab a pack of US-05 yeast to go with it.

Thanks everyone,!

@Hairy thanks. I think I had my terminology wrong. I meant at flame off, some places refer to it as 60 minutes or the end of your boil. 

@Otto Von Blotto awesome thanks. Yeah I was planning on using US-05, I've used it in all the others so far and very happy with the way it works after rehydration (lots of action the next day)

@Smash apologies, I'm after Fruity, Floral, Tropical flavours, with some bitterness but not lasting on the tongue

great thanks again, lots to learn!

When yo say more hops, do you mean bump them up to 20g each then more in dry hop? I've seen some recipes with over 100g's of each hop in dry hops but I don't know how much is enouigh and how much is too much

Citra 20g @ 10 minutes before boil end
Galaxy 20g @ 10 minutes before boil end

Citra 30g @ DRY HOP
Galaxy 30g @ DRY HOP

During boil will also add to the bitterness of the beer right?

Those 10 minute boiled hops will add some bitterness but given the amount of fermentables it shouldn't be unbalanced or too bitter. 

You could also add some at flameout and increase the dry hop to 40-50g each, or you could leave it as is to see how it goes and have a play around with the hop additions next batch to see the difference.

Just a quick question: 2kg of fermentables 1.5kg LDM and 500g Dex isn't that a heap of sugars to get through and wouldn't it leave the brew quite sweet ...  wouldn't it be better to drop the Dex and keep the maltodextrin to give better body and mouth feel and also reduce the ABV to about 5.5%  ... this is a not a suggestion it is a question?    

32 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just a quick question: 2kg of fermentables 1.5kg LDM and 500g Dex isn't that a heap of sugars to get through and wouldn't it leave the brew quite sweet ...  wouldn't it be better to drop the Dex and keep the maltodextrin to give better body and mouth feel and also reduce the ABV to about 5.5%  ... this is a not a suggestion it is a question?    

Hey, this was the revised recipe. Based on the Spreadsheet if I dropped the Dex and kept the Malto, the result wouldl mean the FG was too high?

Revised Recipe:

Coopers IPA kit
Citra 5g @ 10 minutes before boil end
Galaxy 5g @ 10 minutes before boil end

Citra 30g @ DRY HOP
Galaxy 30g @ DRY HOP

LDME 1.5 KG
Dextrose 500g
US05

Predicted OG 1.057   IBU 43.4
  FG 1.012   EBC 18.0
%alc   Keg 5.9   Bottle 6.3

Alternatively if I used 300g of Malt & Dex would result in the below?

Predicted OG 1.059   IBU 43.4
  FG 1.017   EBC 18.0
%alc   Keg 5.5   Bottle

Would be intesresting to see the taste difference in both of those. 

I'm new to this so haven't experimented around, and this is my first attempt before tweaking it. Hoping to get an IPA Recipe I can come back to, tweaking things as I go

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Dextrose is 100% fermentable, meaning it will leave very little flavour. Maltodextrin is not 100% fermentable, meaning it will leave more sweetness. LDM leaves some sweetness as it has unfermentable sugars in the crystal malt it has. Other option is to use wheat malt which would add sweetness, body & feel. IPA's are typically stronger ABV also

Archived