Coopers Community

Toucan Pale ale idea - using 2x Coopers APA cans.

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with the IanH spreadsheet and following on from putting down a Toucan stout recipe today, was pondering the idea of doing a toucan with Pale Ale as the kit.

The aim is to get a strong pale ale with a decent IBU. 

Would love to get some feedback on whether you think the idea plotted out below would work? Also wondering if the IanH spreadsheet takes into account 2x Kit Yeasts rather than just one, and if not, what impact if any that would have.

Thanks!

pale idea.JPG

Hi Sil

I think this would go fine.  I have recently done two toucan recipes.  It was partly to get through some of the cans I bought during the great Woolies clearances a few months ago.

Aus Pale Ale + Family Secret Amber Ale + Only 200g LDM to steep some hops

• 25 Litres
  • OG 1.044 - FG 1.012
  • 4.6% ABV in bottle
  • IBU 47 - EBC 23

Aus Pale Ale + Preachers Hefe Wheat + 500g Dry Wheat Malt to steep some hops (and just because I had it)

• 25 Litres
  • OG 1.049 - FG 1.006
  • 6.0% ABV in bottle
  • IBU 20 - EBC 12

Note the higher brew volume of 25L.  Both are carbonating away in bottles so have not tried them yet.  Next weekend will be the tasting-day.

I note that your recipe is showing at the high end of American Pale Ale on the chart.

I do not know if or how the IanH spreadsheet takes into account 2x Kit Yeasts rather than just one.  It just looks like it assumes you are using enough.  I would definitely use both.  I did for the two brews above, even though they were not equivalent to 2 kit 'n' kilo's, they are more than 1.  I note that yours is the 2 cans plus 1kg of fermentables.

All the best with it.  Cheers Shamus.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Did you sample these seamus ? 

Hi PaddyBrew2

Link to my Roger Roger Amber Ale tasting notes (Aus Pale Ale + Family Secret Amber Ale + Only 200g LDM to steep some hops)

The second one (Aus Pale Ale + Preachers Hefe Wheat + 500g Dry Wheat Malt to steep some hops (and just because I had it) is a Saison like in the recipe section but with Dry Wheat instead of LDM.  Not sure why I have not posted notes about it yet.

I tried the Bridge Road Chevalier Saison before I brewed this one.  @Greeny1525229549 commented elsewhere that the Chevalier is a bit tame.  I liked it and mine has turned out quite similar.  I did use Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast instead of the Belle Saisn and it was fermented around 22°.  Next time I have one I will post a photo and some notes.  Definitely not as bitter as the Roger Roger Amber Ale.  IBU's for the Saison were 20 compared to 47 for the Roger Roger.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I tried the Bridge Road Chevalier Saison before I brewed this one.  @Greeny1525229549 commented elsewhere that the Chevalier is a bit tame. 

I think it’s a bit tame too but I still think it’s a good introduction to Saison as a style. 

Kinda like megaswill is an introduction to great beer. Still tastes like beer but is inoffensive, mildly bitter and mildly flavoured, but a good beer nonetheless. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just laid down the equivalent of a Double Toucan Pale Ale by using one Kit of Australian Pale Ale in a 15L craft fermenter filled to around 11L. I did a 300g Voyager Winter Wheat Malt steep/sparge at 65-70C for 30 minutes and the boiled the wort with about 70g LDM as suggested by Ian H's Spreadsheet. I then put in some Centennial, Cascade and Galaxy for flavour when the wort was down to about 80C for about 20 minutes. 

I then poured the can into the FV and pretty much dissolved it with the wort then topped it up with cold water to about 22C.  I then took a OG sample and then pitched packet of US-05 yeast which I had rehydrated in some water which had been boiled then allowed to drop down to about 32C. The water had two teaspoons of bakers yeast in it where was there when I poured the boiling water into the measuring cup as a nutrient.

The OG was 1.050 compared to the prediction of 1.055 from Ian H's Spreadsheet. I think that not all the kit dissolved in the water because when I took the OG I later noticed that there was a bit of a drip of extract on the kitchen paper I had under the FV tap. Perhaps this explains the variation. 1.050 is the value that Ian H's spreadsheet predicts without any Wheat malt steep. But anyway I guess that's close enough.

Any  comments?

• Like 1

@Silmaril

•I am sure you can toucan a pale ale with just about any kit Coopers have & it would probly turn out nice. 

♤Pale ale & a pale + late hops = Is a XPA

♡Pale ale & ipa + late hops = A double ipa

◇Pale ale  & a dark ale =  pb2  Smothy ale.

♧Pale ale & a Irish stout = excellent Irish stout.

•I've only tried the last two before, the first two well I am just throwing potential idea's at you.

Edited by Ocean's of Ale-

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, Ocean's of Ale- said:

◇Pale ale  & a dark ale =  pb2  Smothy ale.

i've got the cans.. but not the hops as the recipe suggests. is it worth making this without the hop addition or am i just going to end up disappointed? (that or hold on until end of lockdown and do it properly with hops?)

Edited by Stickers
spelling

°⊙○  @Stickers  ☆⊙°○

°○⊙Hey buddy, Smothy ale is a lovely darkale/porter and a pretty simple 1-2 combo, the EKG will add a certain... je ne sais quoi..  obviously it adds to the bitterness a bit it also  give it a nice floral aroma finish to the beer.. Both kits are pre- bittered so it wouldn't be to sweet with out it, but the EKG is a cheery on the cake in my opinion. Give it a try as the 2can brother, ive no doubt it will produce an excellent beer still.

♤♡ As a habbit i load up on various types of hops & yeast & just leave it all in the crisper (in the fridge) so iam rarely caught out, it some what annoys the bride but i won't get into that ♧♧

• Like 1

@Stickers

You guys in Victoria look after your selves down there! it's obviously been a rough month for you all. Don't forget were depending on you all to eradicate this covid shit storm so you can all get back to doing what your state does best...Sporting events ..The Melbourne cup & Boxing day test!!!

Keep well°•○

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1