Sign in to follow this  
Silmaril

Toucan Pale ale idea - using 2x Coopers APA cans.

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with the IanH spreadsheet and following on from putting down a Toucan stout recipe today, was pondering the idea of doing a toucan with Pale Ale as the kit.

The aim is to get a strong pale ale with a decent IBU. 

Would love to get some feedback on whether you think the idea plotted out below would work? Also wondering if the IanH spreadsheet takes into account 2x Kit Yeasts rather than just one, and if not, what impact if any that would have.

Thanks!

pale idea.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hi Sil

I think this would go fine.  I have recently done two toucan recipes.  It was partly to get through some of the cans I bought during the great Woolies clearances a few months ago.

Aus Pale Ale + Family Secret Amber Ale + Only 200g LDM to steep some hops

• 25 Litres
  • OG 1.044 - FG 1.012
  • 4.6% ABV in bottle
  • IBU 47 - EBC 23

Aus Pale Ale + Preachers Hefe Wheat + 500g Dry Wheat Malt to steep some hops (and just because I had it)

• 25 Litres
  • OG 1.049 - FG 1.006
  • 6.0% ABV in bottle
  • IBU 20 - EBC 12

Note the higher brew volume of 25L.  Both are carbonating away in bottles so have not tried them yet.  Next weekend will be the tasting-day.

I note that your recipe is showing at the high end of American Pale Ale on the chart.

I do not know if or how the IanH spreadsheet takes into account 2x Kit Yeasts rather than just one.  It just looks like it assumes you are using enough.  I would definitely use both.  I did for the two brews above, even though they were not equivalent to 2 kit 'n' kilo's, they are more than 1.  I note that yours is the 2 cans plus 1kg of fermentables.

All the best with it.  Cheers Shamus.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Did you sample these seamus ? 

Hi PaddyBrew2

Link to my Roger Roger Amber Ale tasting notes (Aus Pale Ale + Family Secret Amber Ale + Only 200g LDM to steep some hops)

The second one (Aus Pale Ale + Preachers Hefe Wheat + 500g Dry Wheat Malt to steep some hops (and just because I had it) is a Saison like in the recipe section but with Dry Wheat instead of LDM.  Not sure why I have not posted notes about it yet.

I tried the Bridge Road Chevalier Saison before I brewed this one.  @Greeny1525229549 commented elsewhere that the Chevalier is a bit tame.  I liked it and mine has turned out quite similar.  I did use Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast instead of the Belle Saisn and it was fermented around 22°.  Next time I have one I will post a photo and some notes.  Definitely not as bitter as the Roger Roger Amber Ale.  IBU's for the Saison were 20 compared to 47 for the Roger Roger.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I tried the Bridge Road Chevalier Saison before I brewed this one.  @Greeny1525229549 commented elsewhere that the Chevalier is a bit tame. 

I think it’s a bit tame too but I still think it’s a good introduction to Saison as a style. 

Kinda like megaswill is an introduction to great beer. Still tastes like beer but is inoffensive, mildly bitter and mildly flavoured, but a good beer nonetheless. 

• Like 1