Coopers Community

Brew A IPA

Carlito

Hi! Does anybody have experience making Brew A IPA. I made the first batch following directions on the can. It calls for 1.5 KG of Light Dry Malt (3 Boxes). In the primary it was VERY cloudy after 1 week so we went 2 weeks. Still a little cloudy at bottling time. End result is a clear amber, nice tasting IPA. However I have a lot of loose sediment in the bottom.  Anyone have info that might help with the next batch?

Hi Carlito

I never do a secondary.  The whole process is done in the one fermenter.  Mine was fermenting from the 5th to the 16th.  I call this the 12th day.

I cold crashed from the 16th to the 21st (17th day) and bottled.

Although I said before I did not notice the cloudiness you refer to, I cannot say that it wasn't cloudy. 

Not to hijack the thread (but kind of), bit has anyone brewed this IPA can with a partial mash, hop schedule and dry hop and had good results?

This can was the first recipe I ever made and I did it with a small dry hop and without temp control so the results weren't exactly outstanding. 

Just wondering if it can be used to make a big hop bomb of an IPA 

Hi @Carlito

Is this particular can of Brew A IPA that you brewed the same one you posted about in April last year? If so it might be likely that the kit yeast you used was not in the best health. I put my yeast into my fridge as soon as I can. 

Lately I've been using two packs of yeast  (rehydrated) in most batches I do, or saved slurry when I can 🍻

I've brewed this particular can of Brew 3 times now, with various different LDM/LME amounts,  hop boils/steeps and dry hops and had nothing but great beer. Clear with a lasting creamy off white/brown head. Fruity AF you can smell them a few feet away...  and best drunken before the dry hop fades around 40- 50 days in my brewery anyway...they tend to go a bit dry after the dry hop goes.

I'm going to try one just using boil additions in wort and no dry hop next batch and see how that ages.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

has anyone brewed this IPA can with a partial mash, hop schedule and dry hop and had good results?

Hi karlos. I did this brew 2 or 3 times. It's quite a bitter brew so was limited in how much I could late boil hops to add to this kit with a partial mash. One brew I went heavy on the dry hops and it was ok, but as expected that faded after time in the bottle.

I had more success starting with a more neutral (and cheaper) base kit. The Brew also ended up lighter in colour than Brew A. My preference for an IPA these days is low or no crystal and big on the late and dry hop additions

Archived