Coopers Community

Pliny the Elder

Thanks guys. It was a culmination brew of sorts on the back of a lot of experimentation with those hops in different configurations & the malt bill too. Given my smaller volume boils, I actually steeped the flameout hops in a separate pot to avoid issues with overcrowding & diminished returns etc.

I'm ultimately biased of course, but I reckon it is a really, really nice hoppy beer. Enough to impress your hophead mates with anyway. 😉

I sent a bottled version up to Ben10 at the time & he really liked it too.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I am trying to plan my next brew, using my SFWH technique again. All this talk of Pliny the Elder cloning got me wondering if I could use a similar hop combo and schedule, but for a partial mash APA instead of a XXIPA.

On the Russian River website, they say that in addition to the Columbus, Simcoe, and Centennial that Jamil has in his recipe, they have Amarillo too! 

So far I have got this:

Pliny the Elder APA
22L

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME
150gm Briess Crystal Wheat = 4.4%
350gm Vienna malt = 10.3%
500gm basemalt = 14.7%
5gm Columbus SFWH x 30 min, then boiled x 20 min
3gm Simcoe SFWH x 30 min, then boiled x 20 min
5gm Centennial hop stand x 20 min
5gm Simcoe hop stand x 20 min
5gm Amarillo hop stand x 20 min
22L
14gm ale/lager yeast blend fermented @ 18C

10gm Columbus DH on day 3 or 4 for 5 days (increase temp by 2C for last two days), then drop temp to 13C for 2 days, then drop to 0.5C for 5 days. 
10gm Centennial DH
10gm Simcoe DH 
10gm Amarillo DH

I am unsure how many IBUs those SFWH additions give me.  Brewer's Friend calculator is telling me the stats are OG 1.049; FG 1.012; IBUs 35, BU:GU 0.72.

Lusty, fellas, what do you think? 

Cheers,

Christina.

3 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I am unsure how many IBUs those SFWH additions give me.  Brewer's Friend calculator is telling me the stats are OG 1.049; FG 1.012; IBUs 35, BU:GU 0.72.

From some discussions I had with Kelsey quite a while back we worked out a 10% increase in IBU with a standard long boiled FWH addition. It's not a lot. I think Beersmith has a calculation for it. I don't use the program so I don't know for sure. Given this is only 30mins boiled I can only imagine you allow for a 5% increase? 🤔

Good luck with the brew. I hope it hits some nice levels for you. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Nice one Christina. I’ll be very interested in how this turns out for you. As well as the SFWH addition to this beer. 👍

Thanks. Did you notice that they use hop extract for the 90 minute Warrior and the 45 minute Amarillo additions? Cuts down on the amount of hops a bit.

I think you should make one of your two recipes. I like the look for the first one with 6.25% ABV. More my speed. LOL!

23 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Thanks. Did you notice that they use hop extract for the 90 minute Warrior and the 45 minute Amarillo additions? Cuts down on the amount of hops a bit.

I think you should make one of your two recipes. I like the look for the first one with 6.25% ABV. More my speed. LOL!

Yeah, I’ve been reading a lot on techniques on doubles and triple ipa’s. 

One to use hop extracts and add the sugar half way through fermentation 

Archived