Coopers Community

Pliny the Elder

Just been reading the Russian River website. 

For the yearly release of Pliny the Younger, on weekends expect to wait 5/6 hours in line for a maximum of 3 glasses, per person per day. Also, once the daily allocation of kegs has run out, no more will be served for that day........ bugger waiting 5/6 hours to get to served for the last keg to splutter while pouring your 295ml glass. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, The Captain!! said:

Just been reading the Russian River website. 

For the yearly release of Pliny the Younger, on weekends expect to wait 5/6 hours in line for a maximum of 3 glasses, per person per day. Also, once the daily allocation of kegs has run out, no more will be served for that day........ bugger waiting 5/6 hours to get to served for the last keg to splutter while pouring your 295ml glass. 

That would want to be the best beer I have ever had, so good that when I taste it I lose all the feeling in my legs and I drop to the ground

On 3/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, Beer Baron said:

That would want to be the best beer I have ever had, so good that when I taste it I lose all the feeling in my legs and I drop to the ground

That probably explains the line-up. 😉

One thing you can say about Vinnie Cilurzo is that he doesn't do things by halves.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, The Captain!! said:

Has anyone tried this unicorn, in the flesh? 

I look at this clone and just think it’s absurd. 

221 ibu’s? E150B6F3-A1B5-4F59-987A-91EDCA349ABC.thumb.png.ba5d93bb351503c57eeba94835981f3c.png

57B60F91-A626-400D-83DA-29896B03EA58.png

It would be interesting to apply Garetz theory of diminishing hop returns to a brew like this using a typical BIAB 40 litre urn volume set-up to brew it with.

It is an incredible amount of hops in an incredibly high wort gravity throughout the boil etc. process.

Personally I don't think it would be possible to recreate the beer to the same level as the commercial version with this home brew set-up.

It'd still be fun as heck trying to though! 😁

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Given that hop-related article that was kicking around here a wee while back this does seem like an absurd and apparently wasteful amount of hops.  I can't remember now the specifics in the article but it did confirm my suspicion that anything above and beyond 200g-ish was probably wasted hop.  

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Given that hop-related article that was kicking around here a wee while back this does seem like an absurd and apparently wasteful amount of hops.  I can't remember now the specifics in the article but it did confirm my suspicion that anything above and beyond 200g-ish was probably wasted hop.  

Yeah I remember the article and my recipe above falls just above the Ideal range but not into wasted amount of hops. The recipe above is based on how my recipes work for me, it’s just the hop selection and slight amount extra of dry hops then usual due to the abv content. 

On the original post, yes, way too many hops IMHO.

I think the original Pliny has measured amount of IBUs as 90. Which seems much more plausible 

23 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I put this together a while back before looking into PTE, and it’s looking very similar apart from abv and what not.

Apart from sharing the same name (IPA), they are worlds apart.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Hiya Capt. 🙂

That second recipe you posted certainly has the two recipes a bit closer, but is still very different to yours in terms of the amount of hops being used in the boil/steep phase.

Total hop weight used:

The RR recipe above: 385gms
Yours: 336gms

Hop weight used in boil/steep phase:

The RR recipe above: 385gms (90 IBU)
Yours: 176gms (44.5 IBU)

Given you've dry hopped 160gms, I'd expect yours to be the more aromatic of the two.

385gms is a staggering amount of hops to use in the boil phase for a 20 odd litre brew. 😮 🤤

Cheers,

Lusty.

Sorry @Beerlust

I think I’m confusing you. The original post was from a BeerSmith “clone”. Which after reading more into RR and Pliny it’s no where near the actual beer.

The second recipe was something that I’d been buggerising around with before I saw the BeerSmith clone.

After reading a bit more about the actual Pliny, it’s a 8% 90 ibu IPA that uses the same hops as what I’d been buggerising around with in the second recipe post. 

The third recipe post is that simply adjusted the second recipe to reach closer to the ABV of 8% and  90ibu of the actual Pliny beer. 

Hope that makes sense.

Kirk

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

...Hope that makes sense.

Nope. Haha! 🤣

As long as it does to you mate, that's all that matters.

If you do end up brewing anything like these 350gms+ recipes, I'll certainly be interested in your thoughts of how hop absorption affects wort starting gravity etc., final volumes etc. etc.

I did a beer I nicknamed "250cc" Pale Ale just under 5 years ago. (I can't believe it was that long ago now!) The "250" stood for the weight of hops used. I rate all my beers & to this day it is one of only 3 beers that I have brewed worthy of being given 5/5 stars (by my own standards).

Good luck with whatever you throw down. It sounds awesome. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I did a beer I nicknamed "250cc" Pale Ale just under 5 years ago. (I can't believe it was that long ago now!) The "250" stood for the weight of hops used. I rate all my beers & to this day it is one of only 3 beers that I have brewed worthy of being given 5/5 stars (by my own standards).

You cannot just throw that out and not give us the recipe or a link to it.

In my experience this will work pretty well for a DIPA:

• Bittering addition to a theoretical 100 IBU or so
  • 8g/l late boil hops (eg at 5 mins - don't worry about the IBU number on this) 
  • 8g/l flameout hops (steeped for 15 mins) 
  • 8g/l dry hops when fermentation is dropping off

This has worked well for me and if I remember correctly a recent presentation on hopping rates mentions that anything over this rate can be detrimental / wasteful (can't remember which off the top of my head). 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived