Coopers Community

Recipe upscaling

karlos_1984

I've recently put down a brew made in my 7ltr big W pot, which consisted of mashed quick oats, some leftover LDME, wheat DME, with a hop schedule and dry hop.

The boil was about 6ltrs and topped up to 8.5 in the fv.

The end result turned out well above my expectations and it is an awesome beer. One I would definately brew again. 

If I were to buy a bigger pot (19 ltr big W cheapy), then is it possible to simply double all the ingredients relative to the water volume to reproduce the same result?

I wasn't sure about the hop utilisation factor. If I keep the same hop schedule.but double the amount at each addition, will this produce a different end result if it's in a larger volume of wort during the boil process?

100% what OVB mentioned ... just need to keep the same proportions per litre ... so divide the original weight of grain by the litres it made then multiply by the new litres   .... e.g... 

if you used 400g of Crystal malt in 8 litres and want to make a 20 litre brew it is 400/8 x 20 ... so it would be 1000g of CM for 20L ... sorry for the mansplaining if you already had the Maths ... that formula is used for all  grains and other fermentables  ...  

Cheers.. 

All good, makes sense in relation to grain and fermentables. I suppose the hops need to be more as well?

I thought I read somewhere that u have to use larger hop additions for smaller partial bathes to allow for the watering down when topping up with just water in a FV. If I did a 15 ltr boil (for example), and didn't top that up at all, wouldn't the hop additions be less as the wort won't get watered down when added to the FV?

Hops that would be a bit different matter ... possibly do same quantity increase per litre but the biol times would stay the same ...  or maybe the opposite the quantity could stay the same but the boil time increases ...  that is outside my knowledge but my bet is on the 1st option more hops same boil time ... 

Cheers Kelsey. I was playing around with numbers on ianH spreadsheet this afternoon and come to a similar conclusion. Might have to start buying hops in 500g lots instead of 100g packs.

That being said, to make a larger volume of what was essentially a leftovers experimental beer, I can still theoretically get away with making about 2 cartons worth for around $45 for ingredients from my LHBS, and still have leftover malt & hops. Not too bad 👍

Archived