Coopers Community

MALT questions 2019

The Captain!!

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I wasn’t sure whether you were pro or anti Oxford commas.

I read this as “Congrats Hairy, and well done Coopers”.

Looking back I think I was too modest. We deserved praise.

Well done Hairy. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Even as an anagram, "Hairy" doesn't come close to "Coopers".

Someone please call an ambulance, I think this man may be having a stroke!

Did you hear about the two nuns who were flashed by the local pervert whilst they were having lunch at the park

one had a stroke

the other was too slow 

13 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

While it is good still does not answer my question in relation to malt: is using DDM would be an option to darken a lager ... 

The simple answer is yes. The depth of colour it produces by weight vs the liquid dark versions though I am unsure of. The dried malt version isn't spoken about too often. I've only ever used it once (I think?) in an extract Porter recipe to maintain colour & flavour depth, not in a light coloured lager to darken it, so I admit I don't personally know how much of it to use to create a certain darkness in a beer.

In IanH's spreadsheet the EBC ratings for the dried vs Coopers Dark Liquid Malt extract at the same equivalent weights come out very different in terms of colour depth. The liquid version lists as producing a much darker end colour than the dark dried malt extract at the same volume. The figures may not be entirely accurate though. 

I'm led to believe Coopers produce the dark dried version, so maybe@PB2 OR @Coopers DIY Beer Team can shed some light on the subject for us? 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The simple answer is yes. The depth of colour it produces by weight vs the liquid dark versions though I am unsure of. The dried malt version isn't spoken about too often. I've only ever used it once (I think?) in an extract Porter recipe to maintain colour & flavour depth, not in a light coloured lager to darken it, so I admit I don't personally know how much of it to use to create a certain darkness in a beer.

In IanH's spreadsheet the EBC ratings for the dried vs Coopers Dark Liquid Malt extract at the same equivalent weights come out very different in terms of colour depth. The liquid version lists as producing a much darker end colour than the dark dried malt extract at the same volume. The figures may not be entirely accurate though. 

I'm led to believe Coopers produce the dark dried version, so maybe@PB2 OR @Coopers DIY Beer Team can shed some light on the subject for us? 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thank you so much Lusty ... It is nice to know that my instincts are right ... it seems patently obvious to me that it would but there is so much knowledge in the brains trust here that it seems foolish not to get confirmation ... what I have garnered a CaraMalt 3 steep would be best as it would also help with head retention but if I can't get it will use a dark malt extract or powder ...  just have to come up with a quantity for the DDM as 300g caramalt was suggested ...  I suppose from the chart I have just looked at 500g of DDM is 60 EBC in 23 lites but I want close to 50 so reduce it by about 20%  to 400g it will get me to 48 EBC or close to it ...   I think my question has just been answered ... 

Archived