Coopers Community

MALT questions 2019

The Captain!!

Either I’m blind or this hasn’t been started for this year. 

Coopers maltings? Any feedback regarding any of the types they are putting out?

Ill need to go purchase some more base malt soon and I’m thinking I’ll give the coopers range a crack

Could someone please advise (hopefully someone with some insider knowledge) what are the Coopers malt equivalent to?

Coopers Premium Pale? - some are say it’s close to a Pilsner malt?

Coopers Premium Ale?

Coopers Schooner? -Maris Otter?

the reason why I ask is I have a sack of the first two and 1.5 kegs of the 3rd and I like using it but I’m not sure if I’m using it in the the recipes -  I used the Premium Ale in a dry Irish Stout on the weekend and it looks great and tasted fine before the boil. I have also made some great IPA’s with the Pale!

cheers

I have a couple of recipes lined up that use the Coopers Schooner malt in an APA and the Coopers Pale malt in a hoppy middy, but won't be brewing them for a little while let alone tasting them so i guess my post is invalid. 

On another note, i want to do a series of single hop all grain 10 litre batches, and need a good grain bill for my base. I was thinking something like

83.3% Pale malt

10.4% Vienna malt

5.2% Caramunich I

1.1% Acidulated

What do you reckon? I have never used this recipe before but thought it might work well

42 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

83.3% Pale malt

10.4% Vienna malt

5.2% Caramunich I

1.1% Acidulated

What do you reckon? I have never used this recipe before but thought it might work well

I reckon the malt bill will work great there Rowan. 

With that bit of crystal you could push the IBUs up to 38-40 without being overly bitter. 

2 hours ago, kenf said:

Could someone please advise (hopefully someone with some insider knowledge) what are the Coopers malt equivalent to?

Coopers Premium Pale? - some are say it’s close to a Pilsner malt?

Coopers Premium Ale?

Coopers Schooner? -Maris Otter?

the reason why I ask is I have a sack of the first two and 1.5 kegs of the 3rd and I like using it but I’m not sure if I’m using it in the the recipes -  I used the Premium Ale in a dry Irish Stout on the weekend and it looks great and tasted fine before the boil. I have also made some great IPA’s with the Pale!

cheers

I keep hearing that the schooner is close to Maris otter,

The pale not quite a pile but bloody close to, kinda similar to BB pale malt. 

Ale I’ve heard that it’s simply as it states, an ale malt kinda like the BB Ale malt. 

Im going to get a sacks of each and report back when in the pour

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I use a similar malt bill for my APA style brews, just with Munich II and medium crystal in place of the Vienna and Caramunich I. Works really well for my tastes.

Mine are very similar too, then depending on if I want to have some more bitterness I add some caramalt and crystal, for 10% of malt bill I’ll push it over 40ibu up the 15% I’ll go to around 45

When adding a fair bit of crystal malt I do like to mix the flavours up a bit too, as in. If I want a crystal malt bill of 12% I’ll do 2 or 3 different crystal malts just to add some different flavour profiles. 

Thx guys I will keep using them as I am then! My local health food and home brew store does not deal in grain but for some reason  bought these malts and said he is happy to order in more as required! The next store is 35 kilometres away and my mail order supplier is fantastic but freight is a killer!

so Thx again!

I downloaded some info from Simpson’s and I already have the info from Coopers - so I will compare the numbers!

i also have the Gladfield app so easy to compare numbers

but the Pale is producing really good beer. And the premium ale grain tastes nice!

Toying with using some dark dry malt in a lager to add a bit of colour and deeper flavour ... any suggestions on how much to use and what the DDM will do to the flavour ... also open to doing to suggestions on maybe a partial mash with a dark roasted grain ...  looking for guidance on this I suppose fundamentally I want to make a dark lager ...  my idea was a Pilsener or rice beer recipe with Saaz hops, a lager kit, some DDM maybe 250 or 500g with the balance 500 g an appropriate liquid malt extract for the beer type ... 

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Thanks mate. It was one of my better posts but no congratulations were needed.

Even as an anagram, "Hairy" doesn't come close to "Coopers".

Someone please call an ambulance, I think this man may be having a stroke!

Archived