Coopers Community

YEAST Questions 2019

#granted+brew

5 minutes ago, Olemate said:

Thanks Kelsey, Sorry Hairy, my bad, S 04 it is. Seems definitely worth a try! Cheers.

Definitely. I forgot to mention that I like S-04., although I have never tried it in a US pale ale.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm usually always a US-05 rehydrated user but upon checking my dry yeast stocks I found 8-10 sachets of Coopers Kit International yeast.

While my yeast sachets are stored refrigerated, all of these KitInt yeasts are out of date.

I have now just about used them all up by using 2 sachets, sprinkled, not rehydrated, into my recent PA Mid all grain brews.

They are working so well I have become lazy to 'sprinkling' and think I may also do this when I use a fresh pack of US-05.

Thoughts?

(Separately I'm in the process of building ongoing starters but I am not there yet.)

Cheers

We had reps from https://bluestoneyeast.com.au at our club meeting last night. They in partnership with Tallboy and Moose are running a competition. 6 brewers same unhopped wort kit and 6 different yeasts. To brew a beer for Melbourne good beer week in May. Brewer has to use the yeast provided but can do what they wish with the wort ie add special grains etc. Beer will be served at tallboy and moose brew pub and be voted on by the public. I put my hand up of course.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:31 AM, cooperking said:

G'day I bought a vial of Sigmund Voss recently and had similar experiences to you. 24 hrs lag plus super slow fermentation, in a Nelson's Light inspired recipe which only fermented from 1.030 to 1.009.

Fast forward Battleship Bitter with 3 tablespoons of slurry and it had a krausen after 30 mins and after 24 hrs looks like it boiling in the FV!  

I've read that kveik can struggle with low gravity beers as there can be a lack of nutrients combined with pitching straight from the vial (no starter) is what I'm attributing the my first fermentation issues to. All the best with your brew.

Cheers

The recommendation for Sigmund's Voss Kveik is to use a starter if OG is over 1.060.

5 hours ago, PaulW31 said:

The recommendation for Sigmund's Voss Kveik is to use a starter if OG is over 1.060.

Have you actually used Voss at the insanely low pitching rates that it loves? 

Pitch low,  ferment warm... It's the exact opposite of what I do with most of my strains 

I have a beer to be kegged this weekend ( I wanted to do it last weekend but ran out of gas) and won't have time to brew for a couple of weeks.

I really want to have a crack at the Kveik I have so I might pick up a FKW today and cheat a little. I will ferment it in mid-30s and see how it goes.

42 minutes ago, Olemate said:

A question for Hairy. In your experience, roughly how long do your lighter end ales take until FG using S 04?

Building a starter, it certainly went off like a frog in a sock!

Cheers.

By lighter do you mean lower gravity beers. I have only used S-04 in some ESBs early on and later in dark beers.

I also don't really track when fermentation has finished. I usually don't take a gravity reading until around the 1 week mark and by then they are usually finished.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:57 AM, Mark D Pirate said:

Have you actually used Voss at the insanely low pitching rates that it loves? 

Pitch low,  ferment warm... It's the exact opposite of what I do with most of my strains 

I was going by what the Yeast Bay site says, but it seems this is a generic instruction for all ale yeasts. I've just pitched a single vial of Sigmund's Voss kveik at 36C into a 1.102 gravity Belgian Quadrupel, and it was well under way withing 3 hours. I did do a starter 6 hours before pitching though.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all. 

Im bottling today and thought I might start re using My yeast and try to build up a bit of a variety.

ive got a few basic questions. Apologies if these are obvious. I did some googling prior to this but I always find better answers in this forum. 

1. Do I just scoop out into a jar from the bottom of the FV along with some remaining liquid? If so how much is ideal? And do I bother about washing it?

2. I read that When storing, I need to be able to let C02 escape? I’m harvesting from a cold crash and storing at 4 deg in the fridge...didn’t think any C02 would be happening at this stage?

3. How long can I store a batch before it needs to be used? 

TIA

Yeah just scoop it out. Usually your take about a third of the yeast cake. If you're planning to store it for a while then probably take more than that. Rinsing it is up to you, depends how clean you want the yeast. 

I usually leave the jar lids slightly loose for this CO2 escape. I don't know if it's necessary but it's better than an exploding jar in the fridge. Doesn't affect the sanitary side of things.

It can be stored indefinitely but if you are doing it this way it's probably best to use it within a month, otherwise you may not have enough live yeast left and will need to build it back up in a starter.

I leave about as much beer as yeast in the bottom of the fermenter.  Pick it up and swirl until it forms a nice creamy consistency.  Then I decant evenly into pre-sanitised jars via the fermenter tap.  This way I do not need to sanitise anything to scoop out the yeast.

I leave the lids slightly ajar like Otto.  Any CO2 can escape if necessary.  Makes them easier to open later on too.

I have been putting this yeast into two jars, but looking at some yeast calculators, the 200mls or so of yeast sediment is probably an overpitch. Might look to split it into three jars, even if I do not get around to re-using all three within a reasonable time. 

On 3/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, Worthog said:

They are working so well I have become lazy to 'sprinkling' and think I may also do this when I use a fresh pack of US-05.

Thoughts?

I sprinkled US-05 unhydrated on the brew currently in the fermenter, a Balters XPA copy at OG of 1.052. It was going well within 12 hours.

Thanks @Otto Von Blotto & @Shamus O'Sean

i went with the swirl method like Shamus. I took two jars worth which im guessing is too much? I just emptied everything that ended up dislodging. Both jars are in the fridge, one jar has a more noticeable cake in the jar already....would that be the more preferable one to use? 

When it settles should I ditch some of the liquid? Or just wait until I use it?

Archived