Coopers Community

Ever used “The homebrew handbook”?

Potatoes

Hi all,

A friend gave me the homebrew handbook by Dave Law and Beshlie Grimes. I was thinking about making the dark ruby mild on page 76. However, got to reading it and some of the recipes, including this one, have a target ABV which is a bit off. The dark ruby mild has an og of 1034, FG of 1014 and ABV of 5.6%. Seems a little high ABV to me. Am I missing something.?

Another thing is the recipe asks for 5kg of Maris Otter, 113grams of Chocolate Malt and 1.5 grams ( yes, 0.0015 of a kg) of medium Crystal malt. That seems odd, if not insane? Why would 1.5 grams make any difference?

Ive googled the book for reviews and found some raving about it and others saying it’s “meh”. Has anyone used the book? Can the vouch for or against it?

cheers, Dan

ps- I’m keen to do an English mild (3-3.5%) with good hops (ekg or fuggles) with a good true English yeast. Share a recipe, if you have time. 

I have some notes handy but don't have the full details of the recipe I made. I may be able to dig that out tonight.

The grain bill is:

3kg Maris Otter
250g Dark crystal
150g Pale chocolate malt
30g Roasted Barley

Hops:

20g Challenger @ 60 minutes
10g Challenger @ 10 minutes

I can't recall the volume or IBUs but you want the OG to be around 1035 (give or take a few points) and the IBUs to be in the early 20s.

Mash around 67-69 degrees. The higher end if you want a really full bodied beer. Ferment with an English yeast. If mashing at 69 then don't go with a low attenuating yeast like Windsor as it may finish too high.

Archived