Sign in to follow this  
Titan

Brew Systems Questions 2019

Brewing systems questions and hope answers. This thread will refer to grainfather, Robobrew etc.

Doing a clean up today and GF blew the breaker on the house. Tested the element and all seems good. Thinking its a component inside the connect contoller thats the issue. Anyone out there an electonics wiz that could point me what to test or should i just bite the bullet and order another @ $160

Also looking for alternates as both the display and pump circuit's seem to be fine.

My system did the same, but mine is a custom job. It was found to be a cable burnt out to the element. 

If you know someone that can crack it open and check the cables, may of cooked one, that's where I would start.

1 hour ago, Gully85 said:

Have you tried turning it on and off again?

After testing the element I did plug it in again. Controller went bang, puff of smoke cable to element got really hot.  

1 hour ago, Gully85 said:

My system did the same, but mine is a custom job. It was found to be a cable burnt out to the element. 

If you know someone that can crack it open and check the cables, may of cooked one, that's where I would start.

Yes I'm thinking the same. will give the cable a test tonight.

Some of you might know that i want to do a series of small batch single hop beers, and i was wondering if i should do them in a single 19 litre pot on an electric hotplate, or just use my 40 litre urn? If i use a pot, is it ok to just dump the entire amount of wort, break material and all (i will be using a hop sock) into the fermenter? Or do i need to buy a siphon?

24 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Some of you might know that i want to do a series of small batch single hop beers, and i was wondering if i should do them in a single 19 litre pot on an electric hotplate, or just use my 40 litre urn? If i use a pot, is it ok to just dump the entire amount of wort, break material and all (i will be using a hop sock) into the fermenter? Or do i need to buy a siphon?

I have done a couple of partial mashes, and this is what I do. I use a biab bag & hop sock, then through a strainer into the fermenter. Not much in the strainer afterwards

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

Personally I’d use the urn, you’ll get quicker heating times and what not but you know how it performs.

ive often thought about this and wondered ho it would go. 

Might get myself a little 10l cube for experimental brews

8 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Id do a big batch and bust in half. If your doing 10L batches make a 20L. Siphon off 10L of wort and do your hop boil. Clean out the gunk. Siphon in the other 10L and do another hop boil. Save yourself heaps of time and you get to judge the beers on hops alone. I do it regularly for different yeasts with the same hops but no reason you cant do it with a hop boil as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:52 AM, Titan said:

After testing the element I did plug it in again. Controller went bang, puff of smoke cable to element got really hot.  

Yes I'm thinking the same. will give the cable a test tonight.

Well i found the problem.

20190309_100528.jpg

• Haha 2

So I’m thinking of going to a 3v system after I build another house and shed but having a bit of a look around now. 

I want some automation in there so I don’t have to tend to it all the time.

I guess I want to make better beer than I am at the moment. 

Im thinking the Blichmann 3v 5 gallon system. Maybe 10 gallon. But probably 5

Like this attached. https://www.blichmannengineering.com/5-gallon-electric-herms-pilot-system.html

Currently planning a room in my new shed to house my brewery. 

The wife has given me the thumbs up, just have to sell my other land to purchase some other land to build the new house. Ha ha couple of years away yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

So I’m thinking of going to a 3v system after I build another house and shed but having a bit of a look around now. 

I want some automation in there so I don’t have to tend to it all the time.

I guess I want to make better beer than I am at the moment. 

Im thinking the Blichmann 3v 5 gallon system. Maybe 10 gallon. But probably 5

Like this attached. https://www.blichmannengineering.com/5-gallon-electric-herms-pilot-system.html

Currently planning a room in my new shed to house my brewery. 

The wife has given me the thumbs up, just have to sell my other land to purchase some other land to build the new house. Ha ha couple of years away yet.

That looks like a pretty sweet setup!!

Wow!

Blichmann gear is top of the line stuff. Just do it now.

Yeah I’m waiting on a quote but I really need to think about the electrical side of things, due to the whole 240v/120v or whatever it is. 

A straight up import was around 15g but was like, I can buy the individual stuff from your store for a third of that.........

Its the whole auto side that I like about the Blichmann gear, if it doesn’t work out for the whole kit, I’ve alre got a kettle, I’ll just get the HLT and Mash tun with the rest of the gear

Has anyone done the whole recirculating wort when BIABing? Seems to get clearer wort so just wondering if this is something that anyone has tried before?

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't. Too lazy to bother 😂

Reckon it’s worth a crack though? Just thinking about getting clearer wort before going into cube. 

Personally, not really, because I already get pretty clear wort into the cube as it is through using Brewbrite and whirlpooling it post boil. I'm sure there is a small amount of hot break that makes its way across but it's not enough to cause any issues.

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Personally, not really, because I already get pretty clear wort into the cube as it is through using Brewbrite and whirlpooling it post boil. I'm sure there is a small amount of hot break that makes its way across but it's not enough to cause any issues.

Yeah, thats kinda what I'm thinking, but didn't really want to go down the additive route just yet. Its clear, just not as clear as I would like.

Actually, I think my haze is due to the amount I dry hop and not really giving it enough time in the cold crash.

Brewbrite is a kettle fining added inside the last 10 minutes of the boil like whirlfloc is. The other stuff I use is during the cold crash so obviously has no impact on the wort out of the kettle.