Coopers Community

Advice needed, Anarchy IPA

Ismonkey

Just reading over the Anarchy IPA recipe of the month and I realised I have stuffed up when putting this recipe down yesterday! I only topped up to 20l, the recipe says top up to 20l then get temp right by topping up to 22l, I pitched the yeast about 24hrs ago and it's in my temp controlled freezer, should I risk adding another 2l of water or just leave it be? Airlock is bubbling away nicely. What do you people think?

FWIW according to Ian H's spreadsheet :

Anarchy IPA brewed to 22 litres

A/V:  5.4% (keg) 5.8% (bottle)
OG : 1.055   FG : 1.014
IBU : 45.2
EBC : 12.4

Anarchy IPA brewed to 20 litres

A/V : 6.0% (keg) 6.4% (bottled)
OG : 1.061  FG : 1.015
IBU : 50.6
EBC : 13.5

Anarchy IPA  Cooper's Recipe page brewed to 22 litres :

A/V : 5.7% (bottled)
IBU : 40
EBC : 11

So what Otto said except with a bunch of numbers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

FWIW according to Ian H's spreadsheet :

Anarchy IPA brewed to 22 litres

A/V:  5.4% (keg) 5.8% (bottle)
OG : 1.055   FG : 1.014
IBU : 45.2
EBC : 12.4

Anarchy IPA brewed to 20 litres

A/V : 6.0% (keg) 6.4% (bottled)
OG : 1.061  FG : 1.015
IBU : 50.6
EBC : 13.5

Anarchy IPA  Cooper's Recipe page brewed to 22 litres :

A/V : 5.7% (bottled)
IBU : 40
EBC : 11

So what Otto said except with a bunch of numbers.

I recorded 1060 OG, 6.4% probably a bit stronger than I wanted but I'm going to leave it, it'll be interesting to see how this one goes. I do like the stronger IPA's but can't take many in a session. Thanks for the information.

• 1 month later...

Well it came out at ~6.3%, it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks, tastes great, really pleased with the flavour, lacks a bit of head though and dosent seem carbonated enough.

I hope it does carb up a bit over the next couple of week as this is my Easter camping beer!

Cheers 

MVIMG_20190403_180126.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ismonkey said:

Well it came out at ~6.3%, it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks, tastes great, really pleased with the flavour, lacks a bit of head though and dosent seem carbonated enough.

I hope it does carb up a bit over the next couple of week as this is my Easter camping beer!

Cheers 

MVIMG_20190403_180126.jpg

I find they carb up a bit more after a few more weeks in the bottle!

• Like 2

Glad it's tasting great @Ismonkey.  Top job. Enjoy it over Easter. At 6.3% you'll have to go easy though haha

I'd say it should carb up a bit more in between now and then provided you put in enough sugar and everything else like caps are in order. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. I usually find they are better after a bit longer in the bottle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another week on and this beer gets better, better head retention, I think if I did this one again I'd double up on the hops, my own taste needs a bigger hop hit, but I must say it's probably number 2 in my all-time extract brews! (Ok I better stop drinking it or I'll have none left for Easter camping!)

MVIMG_20190412_194449.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just took my FG reading while adding the dry hops.

FG is sitting at 1.016 and I would say its done as signs of fermentation have been gone for the last few days.

Had a taste/smell and it's not what I was expecting. Has an almost sour maybe cidery taste. No signs of infection, and fermented as normal.

All my sanitation was the same as all my other brews and they have been brilliant so not sure whats happening here... I pitched one pack of rehydrated US-05 and OG was 1.060 so the only thing I can possibly think of is I underpitched? Temp was at constant 18.5C.

Hoping it settles down and improves.

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott

6 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Just took my FG reading while adding the dry hops.

FG is sitting at 1.016 and I would say its done as signs of fermentation have been gone for the last few days.

Had a taste/smell and it's not what I was expecting. Has an almost sour maybe cidery taste. No signs of infection, and fermented as normal.

All my sanitation was the same as all my other brews and they have been brilliant so not sure whats happening here... I pitched one pack of rehydrated US-05 and OG was 1.060 so the only thing I can possibly think of is I underpitched? Temp was at constant 18.5C.

Hoping it settles down and improves.

Mitch.

That off flavour may be due to insufficient pitching rates and the yeast might have been stressed but it also might need time to mature for 2-4 weeks. Just package it and see how it goes. I usually pitch 2 packets with OG is around 1.060 or above for a 23L batch. 

Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

That off flavour may be due to insufficient pitching rates and the yeast might have been stressed but it also might need time to mature for 2-4 weeks. Just package it and see how it goes. I usually pitch 2 packets with OG is around 1.060 or above for a 23L batch. 

Good luck!!

I'm hoping it settles... Could also need the balance of the dry hops to compliment some of the alcohol... Tastes quite boozy at the moment but I only just put the dry hops in so will see how she goes I guess.

Will leave the hops in for 3 days, remove and CC for a week then into the keg.

Will update how it goes.

• Like 1

Could just be green beer although I'd agree with using two packs of yeast in that sort of brew. I often find pale ales don't smell fantastic during the fermentation process, at least not in the fermenter. Whenever I open it to add dry hops or finings it stinks. 😂

If I take samples for SG readings they're usually ok, but they tend to taste more bitter than the beer ends up being. Haven't had one taste cidery or sour. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Could just be green beer although I'd agree with using two packs of yeast in that sort of brew. I often find pale ales don't smell fantastic during the fermentation process, at least not in the fermenter. Whenever I open it to add dry hops or finings it stinks. 😂

If I take samples for SG readings they're usually ok, but they tend to taste more bitter than the beer ends up being. Haven't had one taste cidery or sour. 

Yeah I probably should've used two packs but thought I would get away with it with rehydrating one. 

It was quite bitter in the sample I tested so that could also be accounting for some of the taste... Just compared to my other ales (shark attack xpa and a few of my own recipes) both of which tasted quite decent when testing the FG. 

Will just have to wait it out I guess. 

The thick krausen doesn't want to drop either. I put my hop sock in last night with 25g of Cascade and Simcoe which put a decent hole in the krausen and just checked it this morning, still hasn't fallen. Looks like it probably won't until I CC. 

Mitch. 

Edited by MitchellScott

I put the dry hops in on Tuesday night, so basically exactly 48 hours ago from now. It's now day 12 in the FV. 

Tomorrow at lunchtime I'm leaving to go away and won't be back till Sunday night. Do you reckon pull the hop bag out tomorrow around lunch time and start crashing or leave it till Sunday night which will be 5 days with the hops in there then pull the hops out and crash Sunday night? I'm leaning towards leaving them in there to extract all the flavour and aroma I can. 

Mitch.