Coopers Community

Ants

karlos_1984

I went away recently. Came home and found a couple of tiny ants had gotten into an open bag of dextrose, which was sealed off with one of those food saver clips from Ikea.

There was only a couple on the top most part of the bag. I've scooped them out. Can I still use this dextrose? I was thinking of just boiling a couple litres of water, stirring the dex in and boiling it for 10 mins just as a precaution before adding it to the FV. Will that suffice or should I just chuck it?

Yep no problem bacteria really grow on sweet stuff due the osmotic effect ... that is why jams have so much sugar,  it preserves them ... it is mould/yeast that degrade the sugars as yeast has firm cell wall and does not desiccate via osmosis ... Microbiology lesson 101 there ..  

I've had ants in my brew shed for the first time the last few days. Turns out I left an empty packet of carbonation drops on the table after bottling on Thursday.

Cheeky little buggers have been coming in looking for the dregs in the bottom of the packet. Its the first sign of any insects in six months of brewing in this shed. I barrier spray normally every three months.

Cheers, Lee

22 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Sauce goes in the fridge once opened Otto..... 

You have just undone all the good work you have done on this forum.

It is the same result as if you had just come out and stated that earth is flat.

From memory the magic number for food safety is 80% sugar content, (80 brix or SG 1.4250) where the osmotic pressure will draw out water from bacteria cells, causing them to die. So  jams for eg are very high in sugar content and this effectively preserves the fruit. Some moulds can survive with sugar concentration this high however, so that's why a good idea to put in the fridge after opening. 

On 3/5/2019 at 8:07 AM, Hairy said:

You have just undone all the good work you have done on this forum.

It is the same result as if you had just come out and stated that earth is flat.

Cmon.... Not like I'm slagging off ingredients or processes I've never used!! 

On 3/5/2019 at 9:24 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not in our house it doesn't 😂

It should,  not from a food safety point of view but flavour stability .

My first apprenticeship was building and maintaining a chilli,  mango and ginger processing plant. 

I was roped in to do some of the food science /QC drudge work including taste samples .

Cold stored product was superior in every way 

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can't say I've noticed any difference in flavour from leaving it in the cupboard. Some sauces are kept in the fridge, but tomato and BBQ live in the cupboard. 

Holy crap - this is going to open a massive can of worms I think...........But also, I'm with you - It goes in the cupboard and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Why would I want cold tomato sauce on my hot bacon and egg sanger?

Archived