Coopers Community

Finances and homebrew

elLachlano

I have been know to go a little over the top with hops. 

I buy in bulk as often as I can which drops price to $60 a kg,  buying local 100 g bags works out to up to $140 a kg depending on supply and price. 

(Single batch) 600-800 g is what I usually use,  brewed one using 1400 g and it was a bit harsh for a month and finally came good.... On upside I could smell the fridge from 6 metres away and a glass from 3 ....it was juicey!   

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

(Single batch) 600-800 g is what I usually use,  brewed one using 1400 g and it was a bit harsh for a month and finally came good.... On upside I could smell the fridge from 6 metres away and a glass from 3 ....it was juicey!   

What volume are these batches?

On 3/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, Mark D Pirate said:

Don't do it,  massive waste of hops and green hop bite isn't pleasant 

Well good to hear someone has really.pushed the boundaries! So with these 600g hop bombs Mark, are these NEIPA? I have an excess of 2017 USA hop harvest that I want to use up so I can get some fresh 2018 harvest. How.did these 600g hopped beers turn out?

I brewed today, an IPA recipe from a friend. centennial FWH to 26 IBU, then 100 g cube hop (mix of simcoe, mosaic, centennial, cites). 160g dry hop of same combo planned. 286g hops and I think this will turn out to be a solid, hop-forward IPA

8 hours ago, joolbag said:

Well good to hear someone has really.pushed the boundaries! So with these 600g hop bombs Mark, are these NEIPA? I have an excess of 2017 USA hop harvest that I want to use up so I can get some fresh 2018 harvest. How.did these 600g hopped beers turn out?

I brewed today, an IPA recipe from a friend. centennial FWH to 26 IBU, then 100 g cube hop (mix of simcoe, mosaic, centennial, cites). 160g dry hop of same combo planned. 286g hops and I think this will turn out to be a solid, hop-forward IPA

600 g is fine,  it's when you double it that it just gets silly,  wasteful and you regret it 

16 hours ago, joolbag said:

That sounds very similar to most of my pales. Bet it will be delicious 

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

That sounds very similar to most of my pales. Bet it will be delicious 

... but mine is an IPA not a pale ale! On this one I’ve gone for a more modern malt bill. Just base malt (coopers ale malt in this instance) and Gladfield’s equivalent to Carapils. Came out very light in colour and I followed my mates water additions. Hoping to get that hop forward punch that my IPAs to date have been missing

I was more focused on the “I” than the “P”.  I think the hop schedule and amount for this recipe puts it in the IPA territory, but the OG of 1.054 is more in the APA region. Whatever it is classified as, I just want it to be delicious! Nice to brew something hoppy after two sours and two Samson’s. Gotta use them up!

On 3/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, karlos_1984 said:

I enjoy all of the above, except bottling. Bottling sux and is a PITA. It's the only part I dread doing because of the stuffing around sanitising and filling, capping and packing away etc. Takes up the whole kitchen for a good couple hours from start to finish. SWMBO has more patience than I give her credit for.

Not my favourite task either but SWMBO is actually helping with the bottling. Best part is, she doesn't even drink beer 🙂 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, DonPolo said:

Do you think the still water equivalent bottles would be OK? My family's not particularly partial to the sparkling variety. 

Not that I need more bottles at the moment. Have about three dozen 740ml bottles to spare ATM plus 10 swing tops and that's quite a few craft fermenters worth.

Not sure about the still water bottles. Some of them, especially the cheap ones are not much more than thick plastic foil. 

Archived