Coopers Community

malted barley

worry wort

I wanted to have a first try and using grains and thought I'd start of easy with and Irish Red Ale, but it was too easy and instead of roasted barley I picked up malted barley by mistake. As its 55k back to the brew shop, and I know diddly squat about these matters, I need to ask, can I still make A brew with malted instead of roasted barley? the recipe called for APA, LDM and roasted barley and crystal malt.

sorry for the myriad of inane simple questions, but after decades of KnK, this is a new world to me.

Worry Wort

If it's a red ale the amount is probably quite small, like 50g or so. I doubt there would be any point using 50g of malted barley, which could be any number of different grains but is probably ale malt in this case which won't give the desired colour. 

If you're happy to brew it without roasted barley then do so but if you want it how it's intended then you may have to put it on the backburner until you go back to the shop next, at which time you can get the roasted barley. Better than making a huge trip for one thing

1 hour ago, Titan said:

What was the ratio? Roasted barley will give a darker colour to the beer and impart some choc coffee flavours.

it was 100gm crystal malt and only 50 roasted barley

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If it's a red ale the amount is probably quite small, like 50g or so. I doubt there would be any point using 50g of malted barley, which could be any number of different grains but is probably ale malt in this case which won't give the desired colour. 

If you're happy to brew it without roasted barley then do so but if you want it how it's intended then you may have to put it on the backburner until you go back to the shop next, at which time you can get the roasted barley. Better than making a huge trip for one thing

apart from the colour, would it greatly affect the taste? im figuring 50gm of anything wouldn't be a game-breaker. I just need to get a brew down on the weekend or I start to fall behind, and heaven forbid that happens lol.

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That would make it black patent or chocolate malt as those are made from malted barley. Roasted barley is unmalted.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter if it's just for colour adjustment only. 

And, as you say:

50g wouldn't really affect the flavour, not in my experience anyway. I usually use 70g black patent in my red ale and can't taste it. It's just there to deepen the colour. 

😎

Archived