Coopers Community

Downhill White IPA - not exactly going downhill & accidental cold crash

elLachlano

Hey Guys,

Did the Downhill White IPA - mostly to recipe w/ K97 yeast etc.  but messed with the hops a little:

Magnum/Cascade 25g + 15g Saaz each 10min boil | Cascade / Centennial 25g 10min flameout

Got OG of 1053 which was the first time I've got exact on my calculated OG by reverse engineering the suggested ABV (6.3%) and suggested FG range (1010-1015 using the lowest for calc).

I took a SG reading on day 6 and it had gone down to 1020 with massive krausen. Excellent...

Went away for a few days and the temp probe for the fridge had kocked out of the chamber and the (dodgy) fridge had got it down to 10C over probably the last 4 days.

I thought "Cool  - bonus cold crash!" (FYI I don't usually CC).

Day 16 and I've washed my bottles ready to go, about to pour in bulk priming and took a FG reading and hit only 1017.

This is the highest I've had a beer finish.

1. It tastes ok and dry enough, but do you think that 2 points off intended (highest-end) FG is worth holding off the bottling? I don't want any bombs.

2. Has anyone had experience of K97 finishing high or stalling? I'm a bit paraniod that it stalled due to it only going down 3 points in the last 10 days (with CC for 4 of those).

3. It's going to be pretty warm over the next few days and I'm tempted to let it sweat it out a little in the shed to maybe kick up some more ferment action. Would this exposure to warm temps (I predict it will reach about 24-26 in my shed) will throw any off flavours?

Whaddya reckon?

eL

I would give it a day or two at the warmer temperature.  It should not do any harm (off flavours) because most (if not all) of the fermenting is done.  If SG has dropped after two days, keep monitoring until it is stable.  If no change I would bottle.  I did a Kilkenny clone ages ago that had a FG of 1.019 and fermented around 20°

Have you got anyway to ease it back up to reasonable fermenting temp without it going up as high as 24+?

That’s possibly a safer way to squeeze out a couple more points if the reading is higher than expected.

Having said that I’ve noticed some comments here saying that the first 4-6 days of fermentation are more important to have at controlled temp than at the end of the ferment. But get someone else to confirm that. 

I’ve not used that yeast but have just polished off my first white IPA from a fresh wort kit. Had no idea what to expect but the longer I left it the better it got, until it was gone..

Good luck, I’m sure it will taste like beer 😉

Wazz

Thanks guys. This one fermented at 20 for the most. I'll bring it up to 22 I think and having shifted it to and from fermenter fridge should at least stir up a little yeast.

No harm in waiting a few more days to monitor SG for piece of mind I suppose.

Just blew 136g of dextrose. Hot damn! 🤣

Archived