Coopers Community

Beer in a bag BIAB

Marty_G

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

So do mine but I prefer to leave most of the shit behind when I transfer it to the fermenter, so I wind up with about 25 litres in there. 

Yep i got it now ...  so after the final boil of hops .... chill/let cool in the urn which will also help settle the wort ... once it is a pitching temp drain the urn, and Iwould imagine filtering would also be an option,  25 litres into a FV ... pitch and refrigerate at brewing temp ... 

You will add 1/3rd "Whirlfloc" tablet at 10m left to boil. This will help flocculate and drop rubbish. Then flame out.

Syphon or otherwise move from urn to your cube after 30m or so, first 15m to settle out, then whirlpool to drop down and centralize the break etc. Try not to aerate at all as this introduces oxygen that bugs can thrive on.

You can then no-chill cube. When down to ferment temperatures, usually next day, you can then aerate through a sieve, into FV and complete your process.

Cheers

Some like to slow chill in the kettle like that but if you are using cubes then it's better done while the wort is still hot. It doesn't have to be boiling but above 80 degrees is usually advised for cubing. 

When I finish the boil I let the wort sit for a period of time before transferring, and I use a couple of methods. The first is simple, I just let it sit for 25 minutes for the break to settle out, then transfer. The other I let it sit for 10-15 minutes, remove the hop spider and whirlpool the wort, then leave it sit another 15 minutes or so before transferring to the cube. 

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Some like to slow chill in the kettle...

Which I am going to try in winter, to ensure I get to ferment temperatures by early next morning. I can lid and fairly well seal the boiler (aluminum). This would save a lot of frigging around and washing up, providing there are no adverse quality issues. 

Cheers

Archived