Howdy folks! 

Me and my wife made some Apple Wine with Honey that turned out awesome and then I found these Porter Cans on sale.  The honey inspired me. 

What I did: 

8th januari...

• Devil's Half Ruby Porter 
  • 1.3 kg cheap honey. No boiling. 
  • 50 g Mandarina Bavaria boiled 5 minutes with 5 ml Carrageen  and 3 ml Magnesium Carbonate.  Cooling for 15 minutes before draining. 
  • 23 l with Safale US-05.  

21st january... 

• I thought it was time for bottling but the taste was very bland and sour so I threw in 500 g Muntons Dried Malt Extract Medium + 300 g Honey dissolved in some water.  Some more fermenting. 

9th february...

• Bottling with carbonation drops. 

23rd february... 

• Beer tastes very good! Some sweetness and maltyness.  The hop is mostly bitter.  Not much of the honey to taste though. Next time I'll use the brand that we had in our wine. Much more fragrant and tasty + cheaper.  After drinking two 0,5 l bottles I can feel the alcohol working.  

I've still got some Porter Cans that I want to do more honey-experiments with.  I'm thinking of using oak in the fermenter and Mangrove Jacks M15 Empire Ale Yeast. I have some Hallertau Blanc, Styrian Wolf and Columbus that I might want to use.  Don't know yet. 

Cheers! 

Welcome to the forum.

Hallertau lends it towards a lager or pilsner, great hop for this style of beer. You may want to use them in a baltic porter however if porter is the style of beer you enjoy. A baltic porter is in my mind the king of porters. High abv, malt fruity sweetness offset by a clever hop schedule, where the alcohol powers through in the finish. Ferment as a traditional lager. Will try to come up with an extract recipe for you to try, but this style screams all grain.

12 hours ago, Titan said:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I've been a long time lurker.  

12 hours ago, Titan said:

Hallertau lends it towards a lager or pilsner

It's actually Hallertau Blanc from which I've gotten the impression is nice for late addition.   https://www.hopsteiner.com/variety-data-sheets/Hallertau-Blanc/ 
Have'nt tried it yet but the descriptions seem to fit with the tastes I'm getting with this beer.  Sort of a easy fruity Porter. 

Baltic Porter seems nice. I'll keep it in mind for future brew adventures. I have no temperature control so maybe with MJ M54 Californian Lager Yeast.     Right now my garage is filled with cheap Coopers Porter and Bootmaker cans from a sale. Got some Tiny Rebel Cwtch kits waiting as well.  

I forgot to mention that I also had added nutrition for the yeast. It was a no-name packet made for fruit wines supplied with a bunch of other stuff I bought for my wine making.  

On 2/25/2019 at 1:10 AM, der kleine Drache said:

Not much of the honey to taste though. 

Ive found honey a bit tricky to use, ale & lager yeast seems to just chew right thru, it rarely leaves a sweet honey profile, it often seems to leave just the aroma. If anything I've found honey to crispin the finish. It's nice in pilsener due to the subtly of the malt.

I've found priming plastic bottles with some honey adds more intensity.  It's again tricky doing it, but I found it gave a big honey profile. 

Alternately add some honey grain to the brew next time.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:46 AM, der kleine Drache said:

The head does'nt stay too long but the taste is nice. 

Honey gives no mouth feel or body to the beer. Try adding wheat to assist in head retention &/or carapills &/ carafoam specialty grain.

If it's tasting good brother than your on the right track!

My idea for the next experiment: 

23 l 

1.7 kg Coopers Porter

0,5 kg Wheat Dried Malt Extract

1,4 kg honey with character

250 g lactose

50 g mandarina bavaria 5 minute hop tea

15 ml magnesiumcarbonate 

1/2 tsp (2.2 grams) Wyeast Nutrient Beer Blend

Mangrove Jacks M15 Empire Ale 

20 g oak chips after fermentation has slowed down. 

130 g Honey for priming (ca 4,5 g sugar / l)

I want this one to be sweeter and fuller than the last one. Also less CO2. The last one is quite tasty and I like Mandarina in it.  

Any ideas or input is more than welcome.