Coopers Community

Brew Number 2

Yuley

Hi All

So I am ready to start thinking about Brew Number 2... I have a can of Australian Pale Ale to add to it.  What does the APA with BE2 taste like?

Any thoughts/ideas on a easy recipe that it can be added to it?

Will be brewing with a temp controller this time. 

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Yuley said:

What does the APA with BE2 taste like?

Cheers!

Yuley,

In reply; BE2 is a good bet with APA.

Tend to use US05 packet Yeast. 11.5g

Dry Hop with 50g Centennial Pellets at Day 4ish.

Set at 18C.

Then let the magic begin. Founds this one a simple but good APA.

All the best with Brew 2.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Yuley said:

Hi All

So I am ready to start thinking about Brew Number 2... I have a can of Australian Pale Ale to add to it.  What does the APA with BE2 taste like?

Cheers!

Hi Yuley

The Australian Pale Ale is a very adaptable can.  It features in 25 of the 180-odd Coopers Recipes on the website.

The APA with BE2 is supposed to brew a beer pretty close to the Coopers Pale Ale especially if you make up a Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture - see video.  Otherwise just use US-05 as Yeastyboy suggests above.  As also noted above it will go well with a dry hop: 25 - 50g of Centennial, OR: Citra, Cascade, Galaxy, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, East Kent Goldings, Topaz, etc.

One of the Forum @James of Bayswater has done a spreadsheet of the Coopers Recipes.  You can search it and filter it on brew cans and difficulty.  A link to the latest version is here.  I had a quick glance and none of the APA recipes are "Easy" difficulty, but the "Intermediate" do not seem too tricky though.  Just brewing up the APA with BE2 and the can yeast would be considered "Easy".

I reckon it is still good to make at least one of the basic recipe for each can, so you can taste what they are like, see what you like, and build on you preferences as you go.

Best of luck with the brew

Cheers Shamus

Just on note on the difficulty ratings.

While there are a couple anomalies it seems that of the 176 recipes  -

• Easy recipes (26 recipes in total) are those that do not require hop or grain additions (although the can include other ingredients added to the wort)
  • Intermediate recipes (84 ) generally involve some hop additions but rarely involve grains
  • Advanced recipes (50) are those that involve grains and usually additional hops, and
  • Expert recipes (16) may involve hops and/or grains but always involve reconstituting Coopers commercial yeast from the bottle.

Archived