Coopers Community

Hopping Hefeweizen

Detroit D

Hi All, new to the forum but have been following since I got my Home brew kit start of last year. Appreciate the information I have gotten from the forum so far, my brews have gone from average to the point I prefer mine to most commercial beers except for some quality craft brewers

Essentially I have gotten the brew fridge and controller and have pretty much being doing APA with 1 kg of lDM with various combinations of hops and yeast, so time to expand a bit...

I am planning a hefeweizen next off the club recipe base, it doesn't need any hops...but I now love hops. so all the research I could find was maybe adding Saaz as a dry hop. it gets pointed out that it wont be to style but I am ok with that if it is still tasty,

any members have any opinion on to add hops or not,

Perhaps some noble hops late in the boil or flame out would be ok but personally I’m not a big fan of a lot of hops with a Hefeweizen yeast.

If I am doing a hoppy wheat I would do a US style wheat ale or perhaps use a yeast like K-97.

But some people like it and you will never know unless you try it.

And welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, Detroit D said:

...I am planning a hefeweizen next off the club recipe base, it doesn't need any hops...but I now love hops. so all the research I could find was maybe adding Saaz as a dry hop. it gets pointed out that it wont be to style but I am ok with that if it is still tasty,

Mandarina Bavaria hops.

This is the new big hop for wheat beers. It has been developed from the home of wheat beers (Germany). My personal feeling is it has been developed as a replacement for traditional orange peel/bitter orange peel additions that are often used to add flavour & aroma to them in a complimentary way.

Make a hop tea with approx. 15-20gms, &/or dry hop with approx. 20-25gms.

You won't regret it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Mandarina Bavaria hops.

This is the new big hop for wheat beers. It has been developed from the home of wheat beers (Germany). My personal feeling is it has been developed as a replacement for traditional orange peel/bitter orange peel additions that are often used to add flavour & aroma to them in a complimentary way.

You won't regret it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I’ve never used this hop but everything I’ve read about it seems to point to what lusty has said. 

6 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Mandarina Bavaria hops.

You won't regret it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Lusty, have you used this in a Hefeweizen?

I have some in the freezer and I am thinking of using it in an American Wheat Ale.

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

Lusty, have you used this in a Hefeweizen?

I have some in the freezer and I am thinking of using it in an American Wheat Ale.

I've only done a couple of brews with it back in June/July 2017. Neither were a wheat. There wasn't a huge amount of info around the place on it then. There has been much more experimentation both commercially & in home brewing circles since.

When I brewed with it, I noted it was similar to both Cascade & Hallertau. Sure enough, a check of it's genealogy & it is a daughter of Cascade, Hallertau Blanc, & Hüll Melon.

American Wheat's are a very popular choice for this hop. The combo should make for a lovely beer.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

19 hours ago, Detroit D said:

I am planning a hefeweizen next off the club recipe base, it doesn't need any hops...but I now love hops. so all the research I could find was maybe adding Saaz as a dry hop. it gets pointed out that it wont be to style but I am ok with that if it is still tasty,

One of my next batches will be an "Erdinger" wheat beer clone. The kit based recipe is asking for Hallertau finishing hops. 

Archived