Coopers Community

Riddle me this...

MitchBastard

Currently got a batch half in glass half in PET. The pet bottles have shown a lot more carbonation at a quicker rate.

same cleaning routine, same sanitising routine, same storage conditions also Cold crashed 5 days.

I do make a point of filling 3 or so pet bottles first to clear some gunk through and then the same again at the end once she’s getting shallow. 

???

TIA

I'm just gonna assume you've poured a beer from each type of bottle to test the carbonation level. 

I have heard reports of bottles with more sediment carbonating either quicker or to a higher level than bottles with a normal sediment level. I can understand quicker due to there being more yeast but getting more carbonation doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't matter how much yeast there is, it will still only ferment the available sugar present.

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have heard reports of bottles with more sediment carbonating either quicker or to a higher level than bottles with a normal sediment level.

Definitely.  I sometimes bottle a batch in both 750ml and 1.5litre PETs - the larger bottles harden up much quicker. 

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm just gonna assume you've poured a beer from each type of bottle to test the carbonation level. 

I have heard reports of bottles with more sediment carbonating either quicker or to a higher level than bottles with a normal sediment level. I can understand quicker due to there being more yeast but getting more carbonation doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't matter how much yeast there is, it will still only ferment the available sugar present.

Yeah mate, tested both bottle types. In my mind I  Was leaning toward the more yeast thing but as you say it’s still the same amount of sugar?

47 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Yeah mate, tested both bottle types. In my mind I  Was leaning toward the more yeast thing but as you say it’s still the same amount of sugar?

Yes, but if there is more yeast it would likely ferment the sugar faster than if there was less yeast. It doesn't necessarily mean that the beer will be any fizzier by the time they're all fully done though. They should all end up the same eventually.

Archived