Coopers Community

final abv %

worry wort

4 minutes ago, worry wort said:

does the sugar in the bottles for the carbonation add to the abv of the brew, or is the final gravity reading and corresponding abv level for that reading the final percentage of the ale?

Hi WW

Two carbonation drops in a 740-750ml bottle adds 0.4 -0.5% to the ABV level calculated from the final SG reading.  I took a while to figure this out.  It helped explain why six bottles put me to sleep.

Cheers Shamus

That's one reason I like kegs, because I gas them up from a cylinder I don't get the extra ABV, so it does enable me to add more malt to a lower ABV style which helps achieve a better malt flavor and body in the beer.

For example, if I was making a 3.5% middy, with bottles I'd have to use less malt in the recipe to account for the extra contributed by the priming sugar fermentation, but in kegs I can make up that percentage with more malt, making the beer taste a bit more full bodied. On the other hand, when making 'normal' strength beers I use the same recipes I always used but instead of coming out at 5.5%+ they are now more around the 5% mark, but still taste the same (or actually a little better as I prefer the flavor without the secondary fermentation step).

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's one reason I like kegs, because I gas them up from a cylinder I don't get the extra ABV, so it does enable me to add more malt to a lower ABV style which helps achieve a better malt flavor and body in the beer.

For example, if I was making a 3.5% middy, with bottles I'd have to use less malt in the recipe to account for the extra contributed by the priming sugar fermentation, but in kegs I can make up that percentage with more malt, making the beer taste a bit more full bodied. On the other hand, when making 'normal' strength beers I use the same recipes I always used but instead of coming out at 5.5%+ they are now more around the 5% mark, but still taste the same (or actually a little better as I prefer the flavor without the secondary fermentation step).

Really interesting OVB.  I had not thought of this advantage of kegging.  Back in your bottling days did you experiment with priming with something in the original mixture:  LDM, some liquid extract or a part of a kit can mixed with water, or the wort from some steeped grains.  This method might maintain the body and still get secondary fermentation.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

When I was bottling I put a small amount of Carapils in my brew as it gave it a tad more body which kind of offset the second fermentation, not perfect but it did make it seem a bit better. 

+1. I use 200g of Carapils in every 4kg total grain batch. I brew 3.8-4.4% ABV bottles, primed with measured dose of Dextrose, and I don't feel wanting for more body - given I drink mid-strength beer - and my head retention is perfect and permanent.

Cheers

Archived