Coopers Community

Small batch experiment

karlos_1984

Hey guys, just a query as to whether this would work or not.

Can you just use DME in a boil as a base?

I've got 500g of DME lying around, with 1kg of dried wheat malt and 50 odd grams of galaxy. I've got a stack of unused kit yeasts. 

I know people do their own hop schedules using unhopped liquid malt extract as a base. Can I do the same using dried malt extracts?

Basically, was just gonna do a 6 ltr boil in my small pot using a combo of the DME and wheat DME, with maybe a steep of some quick oats. And just do a small bittering addition of galaxy and a flame out addition, strain the lot into the fv and just go with that as a small batch. Would this work?

Yes it will work. I made a small batch APA with light dry malt doing that. Used 1kg DME, probably half of it in a 5 litre boil for the hops, made the total up to about 11-12 litres. It turned out well other than not carbonating properly because of the cold temperatures when it was brewed. 

It is true that the extract doesn't need to be boiled however your idea is right to use some of it for the hop boil so I would do that. 

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes it will work. I made a small batch APA with light dry malt doing that. Used 1kg DME, probably half of it in a 5 litre boil for the hops, made the total up to about 11-12 litres. It turned out well other than not carbonating properly because of the cold temperatures when it was brewed. 

It is true that the extract doesn't need to be boiled however your idea is right to use some of it for the hop boil so I would do that. 

Hey Otto

When you did that small batch what hops did you use and what schedule? Id be interested in giving this a shot.

Cheers

Simon

I wasn't going to top it up to 12 litres or anything like that. Was just going to ferment the wort as is to see how it comes out. Just trying to get a feel for how efficient my hop schedule can be. I've had good results with kits n bits partials so wanna see how this goes

Hi Karlos

Nelson's Light is from the Coopers recipe section and uses DME and hops to make a light beer.  You could scale the recipe to suit.  Not sure where the dry wheat malt might fit in.  I remember reading somewhere a recommendation for wheat malt to not go over 50% of the fermentables.  I do not remember the theory of why.

Cheers Shamus

I ended up topping up to 8.5 ltrs so the end result ABV should be just on 5%.

I used half half of light DME and wheat DME. Even the hydrometer sample had noticeable sediment after a few minutes I'm presuming from the wheat malt, as I've never seen it like that before and it's the first time using wheat malt for me

Archived